Gibson Brands Forums

New Firebird VII Red w/Gold

Hoya

Hey guys:

Last month I ordered online a new Firebird VII and it's been backordered. I was flipping through the TV channels last month and came across Keith Urban playing live on some show. His guitarist was playing this beautiful Red Firebird VII and it was like love at first sight! I impulsively ordered it with no regrets (yet) but I can't stand the wait!

The last new guitar I ever bought was when I was 16 years old back in 1981. I saved up all my money and ordered an ES347 Tobacco Sunburst right from the factory. I thought it was pretty cool that I was the first to touch it and there were no grubby finger marks or store dings.

I haven't seen any posts about Firebirds in the new forum. Please post if you have a Firebird!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brian,

I agree with you about the "love at first sight". The coolest thing you're gonna get used to is the "offset feel" of a "bird".

The non-reverse has the "weighty" feel & look of a Jaguar, but the original bird body style has a unique feel all it's own.

Hey, it scared the *%$#* out of Fender in those days! Well, Congrats & don't forget to show her off.

If you can adapt to the feel of the bird you will play nothing else. Not too many give the firebird a chance.This could be because not too many places keep them in stock as compared to the more popular guitars. I am starting to see alot more bands playing firebirds these days so this could change. I own a firebird V11 custom shop in frost blue with a abr1 and a stop bar ordered from factory in 91 .I also have a firebird V sunburst 2004 ordered from factory . I waited 6 months for one of them but the wait was worth it .

If you can adapt to the feel of the bird you will play nothing else. Not too many give the firebird a chance.This could be because not too many places keep them in stock as compared to the more popular guitars. I am starting to see alot more bands playing firebirds these days so this could change. I own a firebird V11 custom shop in frost blue with a abr1 and a stop bar ordered from factory in 91 .I also have a firebird V sunburst 2004 ordered from factory . I waited 6 months for one of them but the wait was worth it .

I have a Firebird VII in Blue Mist that I bought new in 2005. It is an absolute stunner! Words can't describe how great this guitar looks. It sounds really good too, but to be perfectly honest I like the sound of my Tele a little more so the Tele gets gigging duty over the Firebird.

I'll back up what ladyscaglyc said about the offset feel. Because of the huge amount of space between the bridge and the back edge of the body (where the vibrato unit sits on the "VII") the neck is much further to the left than it would be on other guitars; same with the bridge (and therefore your picking/strumming spot). It is a weird feeling that takes some getting used to, but eventually it becomes second nature.

I'd also recommend getting a WIDE leather strap for it. These guitars are very neck-heavy and the headstock always wants to dive towards the floor whenever you let go of the guitar. The wide leather strap solves that problem due to its grip on your shoulders.

I'm hoping some day to find a "beater" Firebird V for sale reasonably cheap so I can experiment with putting a single coil pickup in the bridge position to get me closer to my prefered sound, and because the VII's middle pickup gets in the way of my picking at times. I couldn't bring myself to modify my beautiful Blue Mist VII.

I hope you love your new guitar. They really are an awesome piece of art.

Hello FIREBIRD,

I wasn't sure when the RIs came out. Thanks for the 2006 info.

The non-reverse I've got ('65) is also Natural in a sense it has no sunburst.

Your Bird may be derived from the '65 natural as I believe back then they were a custom option.

Do you have the mini-humbuckers?

Enjoy!

ladyscaglyc

1965 Firebird non-reverse 12 string

2006 Gretch White Falcon

1966 Fender Strat Black w/gold

1982 Fender Strat (not squier)

Archived