Gibson Brands Forums

Serious amp question please help

ps25814

so i want to buy a mesa boogie' date=' head but the thing is that i can get like a marshall cab or different kind of cabs for cheaper. can i use a mesa head with a marshall cab? and will it change the sound alot cause the tone comes from the head right?[/quote']

Ok. Yes you can use any cab and speaker combination you want as long as the the impedence matches: connect an 8ohm speaker to 8ohm output on the head.

The tone comes from the head, the speakers, cabinet, guitar, player, and all other "minor" components (cables, boxes etc).

Mangodog,

My suggestion is to get a 2X12 enclosed cabinet. If possible, pick up a used Mesa Boogie Rectifier cabinet. They are oversized, made from seriously good wood, and put out a massive sound. I have a Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce head (100W), and it sounds AWESOME!!!! I liked the Stiletto better than Marshall's in a similar price range (I bought the head used, too....), but that was before the MA came out. Since that's based on a JCM800, it's probably a great sounding amp. Marshall's have always been substandard on the clean channel, though, and my Stiletto excels there. :-) You could also pick up a Stiletto Ace head if you can find one....they are 50W.

-Brad

Archived