Gibson Brands Forums

When they lock the doors and turn out the lights....

ksdaddy

I always find it sad when I see a guitar for sale that was made in the last days of a company's existence. I know every business has a story, every factory closing has a reason, maybe they needed to die for any number of reasons. It's just that when I see a guitar made in the 'final few days' I wonder about the people who worked there at that time.... did they know the factory was closing? Did they enjoy their work until the notice was posted on the bulletin board? If they had known the doors were closing, would they have done anything different on those last few guitars?

A couple years ago I was given a little Stella guitar. It was stamped 1975, can't recall if it was Fall or Spring, but I interpreted it to be one of the last ones out the door. I sold it cheap to a guy in the UK somewhere. Could have been one of the last ones....

Framus guitars also have the year and month, or at least they're supposed to. Some didn't get stamped. I feel a little twinge when I see one dated 1974, as that is the year they stopped. I know someone is making Framus guitars but I don't know if they're still made in Germany or China like Hagstrom.

Not sure when Hagstrom died. Late 70s maybe?

Brand names resurface.... Harmony, Kay, Silvertone.... in China. Not the same. Gretsches have been made in Japan since the late 80s (some in Korea/China I think) and 'they' say they are the best guitars Gretsch has ever made. I don't care. They're Gretsch in name only.

The same could have been said when Gretsch moved production from Brooklyn to Booneville, Arkansas around 1970. Booneville Gretsches are definitely the red headed stepson of the Gretsch family but I still believe they tried their best. A friend is writing a book about the Booneville Era; I think he's calling it "Gretsch's Lost Weekend".

A few years back I bought a neck through body assembly with walnut body wings left over from the Booneville plant when they closed in '81. I fitted the wings, did some routing, and it was ready to be routed for pickups when I culled a bunch of stuff and it went away. I hope the guy finished it.

About the same time I bought a couple rough-hewn steamed top/back pieces left over from Gretsch's 1981 demise, plus a half-built Gretsch replacement neck (the guy died before it was done) and built this out of them:

gfull.jpg

I felt good since those parts didn't get dumpstered.

Bottom line, I do get bummed thinking about companies that have passed on. Just a rant, deal with me as you see fit.

...I wonder about the people who worked there at that time.... did they know the factory was closing? Did they enjoy their work until the notice was posted on the bulletin board?...

Having read Gil Hembree's book on Ted McCarty you get a real notion of how proud the employees were to be making Gibson and Epiphone instruments in Kalamazoo. The staff knew' date=' of course, that production was about to be transferred to Nashville [i']in toto[/i], so it must have been heartbreaking to close the Parsons St gate for the last time.

I know three of the main guys at Gibson bought the plant and set up the Heritage Guitar Company but it's not the same somehow.

Is it?

EDIT : I meant to compliment you on a fine job on that guitar, ksdaddy. Very Sweet indeed!

Someone told me there are still a bunch of people in K'zoo that are still mourning the loss.... people who went on to other careers and probably made out fine but still had the company that they were devoted to pulled away from them.

At least something is going on there. Half a loaf and all that.

When Kay closed in '69, two guys named Engelhardt and Link (Kay employees) bought the tooling for the Kay basses and cellos and they have been manufactured ever since. They may not have the Kay name but at least they're cranking out a few instruments.

Archived