Gibson Brands Forums

What are you working on?

Riffster

Cabba...

I started on regular "classicals" a long time ago. Played almost anything on them although finger style more or less.

Right now, and since the mid 1970s, my "classical" actually is a 14-fret to the body Ovation "Country Artist," one of the first EA nylon string jobbies and certainly the earliest one I was able to put my hands on, literally, and then to purchase. The 14 frets work well for jazz sorts of stuff, but it's not quite a "good classical" sound in ways. Still, it's played the US National Anthem a few times in public, etc., etc.

I'd recommend you start with an inexpensive student model more to get your hands used to the idea. MF has more than a few in that $100 to $200 price range, so I'm sure GC or whatever should have some half-decent ones. I wouldn't buy even a student model without first trying it, though.

It will feel "funny." The action for flamenco traditionally has been somewhat lower than a traditional "classical" guitar. There was a tendency to buy relatively higher tension nylon strings for flamenco, too. In the olden days <grin> LaBella made a red nylon top set that was marketed for Flamenco and was a big brighter.

The reason I wouldn't recommend spending more on the first classical is that it may be almost like starting over. You will have a far different sort of feel on the neck, a different feel on the right hand for finger picking - or if you wanna pretend you're Willie Nelson, even for flat picking. After you've played it a while almost exclusively, you'll start to get different ideas of what you like. After trying several sorts of strings, you'll have a better idea of what kind of sound you want. Then, and likely only then, does it make sense to me to buy a more expensive piece.

Or at any rate, that's how it hits me. Read also some reviews of various priced Classicals on MF in that low-end price range just to see what some reviewers say. Yeah, a $500 guitar should feel and sound better and be better made than a $150 one, but ... who knows, you may be just as happy with the less expensive one depending on what you plan for it in your future after you've played one a while.

EDIT: Capos. the Dunlop toggle is nice and light. The big metal ones just seem "wrong" for nylon.

This one is similar to what I still have from those many years ago except mine seems to be rosewood

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200450876635&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=2ffaef9f1290a0aad47627f6ff298602&itemid=200450876635&ff4=263602_263622

m

Cabba...

I started on regular "classicals" a long time ago. Played almost anything on them although finger style more or less.

Right now' date=' and since the mid 1970s, my "classical" actually is a 14-fret to the body Ovation "Country Artist," one of the first EA nylon string jobbies and certainly the earliest one I was able to put my hands on, literally, and then to purchase. The 14 frets work well for jazz sorts of stuff, but it's not quite a "good classical" sound in ways. Still, it's played the US National Anthem a few times in public, etc., etc.

I'd recommend you start with an inexpensive student model more to get your hands used to the idea. MF has more than a few in that $100 to $200 price range, so I'm sure GC or whatever should have some half-decent ones. I wouldn't buy even a student model without first trying it, though.

It will feel "funny." The action for flamenco traditionally has been somewhat lower than a traditional "classical" guitar. There was a tendency to buy relatively higher tension nylon strings for flamenco, too. In the olden days <grin> LaBella made a red nylon top set that was marketed for Flamenco and was a big brighter.

The reason I wouldn't recommend spending more on the first classical is that it may be almost like starting over. You will have a far different sort of feel on the neck, a different feel on the right hand for finger picking - or if you wanna pretend you're Willie Nelson, even for flat picking. After you've played it a while almost exclusively, you'll start to get different ideas of what you like. After trying several sorts of strings, you'll have a better idea of what kind of sound you want. Then, and likely only then, does it make sense to me to buy a more expensive piece.

Or at any rate, that's how it hits me. Read also some reviews of various priced Classicals on MF in that low-end price range just to see what some reviewers say. Yeah, a $500 guitar should feel and sound better and be better made than a $150 one, but ... who knows, you may be just as happy with the less expensive one depending on what you plan for it in your future after you've played one a while.

EDIT: Capos. the Dunlop toggle is nice and light. The big metal ones just seem "wrong" for nylon.

This one is similar to what I still have from those many years ago except mine seems to be rosewood

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200450876635&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=2ffaef9f1290a0aad47627f6ff298602&itemid=200450876635&ff4=263602_263622

m

[/quote']

This is great information! Thank You!

I like the sound of a classical guitar with the gut/nylon strings and the wide fretboard is something I would like.

If it's not a good way to go' date=' suggestions would be great![/quote']

Before you buy a classical I would suggest you try one of these:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-NTX700-AcousticElectric-Classical-Guitar?sku=621046

Classical sound, cutaway, electronics and the nut width is in between a steel string and classical so you have less of an adjustment to make yet you get the classical sound.

I tried one a couple of years ago at Guitar Center and was impressed, I am surprised they have gone in price from $350 to $500 though.

Before you buy a classical I would suggest you try one of these:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-NTX700-AcousticElectric-Classical-Guitar?sku=621046

Classical sound' date=' cutaway, electronics and the nut width is in between a steel string and classical so you have less of an adjustment to make yet you get the classical sound.

I tried one a couple of years ago at Guitar Center and was impressed, I am surprised they have gone in price from $350 to $500 though.[/quote']

Thanks, I'll check one out the next time I'm in GC.

Archived