Gibson Brands Forums

Electricity Advice Needed.

deepblue

Even though I have my power bar shut off, its till plugged into the wall.

Am I still drawing current?

I ask this, because we here in Ontario are on some type of "smart meter" that regulates how

much we pay for electricity....Use a peak hours, pay top price. If I use power at off peak demand

times I pay less.

If this is the case then I need to unplug my power bars when not being used for periods of time.

Any tips?

Thanks guys.

If the Powerbar is shut off hypothetically you shouldn't be drawing any power, no. Typically electronics like televisions and DVD players and such draw power when they're "off" because they're actually not off, but in Stand-by mode, which is why when you turn your tv on you resume on the channel that you left off, and why during power outages you have to reset the clock, channels, etc.

The only way to truley be sure is to just unplug it I imagine.

It's unfortunate, apparently there was an apartment fire here recently and the fire department figured out that the inital cause was someone who plugged too many power bars into eachother, overloading the circuit and causing a few people to lose their belongings. People were pretty upset about the whole thing and that it was completly preventable.

At my apartment it works out to be about 1.14 a day before taxes here, so it's not too bad, we don't have peak hours though.

There's about a billion "how to's" out there on how to cut back on energy usage, but most of it is common sense, like if you have dark curtains keeping the sun out for most of the day your home will be cooler, keeping the cooler air from the night inside instead of running the A/C though I don't know how universal that is given the variations on weather. Here in Nova Scotia if you don't draw back the curtains till about 3 on a hot summer day you can keep pretty cool.

A good way to tell if any other electronics, or cords or plugs are drawing power is if they're warm to the touch, they're typically drawing electricity.

Archived