Gibson Brands Forums

why are the new 335s

RS1976

I've investigated this myself, having owned a few of each over the past couple years...

Two definite factors are the difference between Kluson and modern Grover tuners, and the difference between the aluminum and zinc tailpieces. I assure you - from experience - that the combination of these factors changes not only the weight significantly but also the note attack and overall tone of the instrument.

By replacing my Dot's tuners and tailpiece I shaved over half a pound off, as well as improved the tone. The tonal improvement may be my opinion, but the weight difference is a fact. Personally I like the look of the Kluson-style tuners way more than the Grovers as well.

Got to agree that the Klusons match up better with a 335 than heavy Grovers. The originals did have aluminum tailpieces, which seems to be what the vintage mavens have all discovered makes a difference in tone vs later production. Also, a number of the reissues will have solid center blocks, rather than having a wire channel cut out under the bridge pickup. Makes fro a major difference in tone, but still no consensus. Some guys like the open wire channel better.

Interesting speculations regarding the weight of Grovers and the heavier tailpiece causing the newer 335s to be heavier than the Reissues and/or vintage 335s, especially since the newer 335s have a weight relieved centerblock and the older ones (and Historic Reissues) do not. Not sure I can follow you guys on this line of thinking.... have we tried out all the 335s and A/B'd them with all the Historic Reissues and vintage 335s ever produced? A difficult theory to test indeed.

Archived