Gibson Brands Forums

New Neck for Blueshawk?

TheNewSteveH

I have a Blueshawk. Before I realized how stupidly engineered electric guitar strap buttons are, I dropped the guitar, and it hit a table. The side of the fretboard hit hard. Now there is a chip out of the fretboard, and the side of the neck is damaged.

What's the best way to get this fixed? Can I just buy a new neck and bolt it in, or do I find a repairman who can fill the hole and make it pretty again? It's playable, but I want it restored.

If anyone knows of a competent repairman near Miami, I would appreciate the info.

I wish someone could tell me why electric guitars still have those stupid buttons after eighty years. It would be so simple to use eyes instead. Engineering this dumb is inexcusable.

Without ever having to do it, I would think "just buy a new neck and bolt it in" is a no-go...the necks are not bolted but fitted and glued.

I think a good repairman is in order!

Also try Dunlop straplocks - they are these black plastic devices that slip over the strap buttons and rotate to lock in place - very clever, temporary, and cheap. They do put enough pressure on the strap to possibly mark the finish though as the strap rotates, so wax the area and strap end well!

Thanks for the replies. I installed Straploks this week. I am used to acoustics, which never seem to have this problem, so I was pretty surprised when the Blueshawk dropped like a rock.

Wondering when some "genius" will "invent" a guitar with eyes instead of buttons!

Archived