Gibson Brands Forums

truss rod adjustment

sellen

the gap at 7Th on the low E are like a 0.60 pick, after my adjustment . Should it be more or less? Have always thought it should be around there:-k . When i got my new ebony standard the gap was around 0.90 I find my self imagine the sound was a bit dirtier and darker with bigger gap. The sound got tighter and brighter with less gap at 7Th. I'm not talking big changes. Maybe i got to much spare time at the moment[biggrin] Any thoughts?

thanks for the reply. When i get a new guitar there's always a bit of tweaking on brigde height, intonation, pickup height, truss rod and changing to my Ernie ball strings. And that's half the fun for me[cool]

0.6mm of relief is a huge amount. I recall Gibson recommending 4 to 12 thousandths of an inch (0.1 - 0.3mm).

It's important to measure relief in the traditional Gibson way - capo at the first fret and press the string between the 12th / 13th frets. Then measure relief at the 6th fret. Also, make sure to check relief with the guitar in the playing position - not laid down.

Some players prefer no relief at all, but the frets have to be leveled to a high standard (and the bridge has to raised slightly higher to reduce buzz).

8 Thou (0.2mm) is a good compromise. As always, much depends on level frets - it's the essential first step in the set up process.

0.6mm of relief is a huge amount. I recall Gibson recommending 4 to 12 thousandths of an inch (0.1 - 0.3mm).

It's important to measure relief in the traditional Gibson way - capo at the first fret and press the string between the 12th / 13th frets. Then measure relief at the 6th fret. Also' date=' make sure to check relief with the guitar in the playing position - not laid down.

Some players prefer no relief at all, but the frets have to be leveled to a high standard (and the bridge has to raised slightly higher to reduce buzz).

8 Thou (0.2mm) is a good compromise. As always, much depends on level frets - it's the essential first step in the set up process.[/quote']

[lol] Two of my Gibson came with around 0.6 mm relief. My new standard came with 0.90mm relief, so i brought it down to 0.60 mm relief as my other two Gibson. Thought that was standard. Will try 0.2 down and see how they react on that. Thanks for the info.

We disagreed about this before 80LPC I think in that I say the neck bow is from the 20th fret to the 1st, now I have evidence.

Notice the length of the rod.

Drukblackvideo1035.jpg

Now notice the bow of the rod.

Drukblackvideo1036.jpg

Now why would the bow stop at the 13th fret ? when the rod goes to the 20th and is quite bowed from one end to the other.

The truss rod (a Gibson invention) has greatest effect between the nut and the 12th fret. The relief fades away at the 12th fret.

Here's the Golden Rule [cool] - straight from a Gibson set up document from the 1960s. The only criticism I have is that a capo should be placed at the first fret to rule out a badly cut nut. Note the clearance 5 to 10 thousandths of an inch. As I said before, this presumes the frets are nice and level prior to setting the relief.

Gibsonrelief.jpg

The truss rod (a Gibson invention) has greatest effect between the nut and the 12th fret. The relief fades away at the 12th fret.

Here's the Golden Rule [biggrin] - straight from a Gibson set up document from the 1960s. The only criticism I have is that a capo should be placed at the first fret to rule out a badly cut nut. Note the clearance 5 to 10 thousandths of an inch. As I said before' date=' this presumes the frets are nice and level prior to setting the relief.

[img']http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w352/marscape1/Gibsonrelief.jpg[/img]

well there we got the golden rule from the holy guitar bible[biggrin] 1/64 inch thats about 0.40. So the rule is 0.00- 0.40 Thanks for posting man:-"

Archived