Gibson Brands Forums

Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 vs. Mesa Boogie Roadster Combo

lespaul24

In all honesty, have you ever tried Carvin? I have 3 Less Paul's, 1972 Gold Top, 1954 copy ... Don't play it much. A 1985 Less Paul Studio, Played sometimes and a 1973 Less Paul Deluxe, spray painted when I got it; I used rubbing compound to get rid of the spray and under the spray was a transparent burgundy Paul top with mahogany back, binding intact. This one and only this one I messed with, set with DiMarzio Hot mini humbuckers. I have played since I was 14 years old or since 1966 ... I have had Marshall's, Fender Twin Re-verb's & Band Master's, Mesa Boggie ... you name it but the Carvin V-3 is a remarkable amp, even at low volumes. I use two Electro Voice 12" Zack Wild Speakers in a 2 x 12 Carvin Cabinet. I also have a Mesa Boggie, with the amp pulled out with one 12" JBL. Either cabinet the V-3 will scream or weep; whichever you prefer it to do. (4 Channel Foot Switch is a must) $749.00 to $849.00, without speakers ... www.carvin.com

Impossible to say, really. Depends on what you need. Do you need four channels, or is two enough? Do you need 100W or is 50W enough. Do you want to be able to power down to 5W or not?

As for the sound, they don't sound the same. But in my experience with them (I don't own either of them by the way) you can't really say one sounds better than the other. Depends on what you like/want/need. If anything I'm under the impression that the Roadster has more gain for the full tilt metal gain than the 5:50 has.

I will say this ... what SHO said is very true ... It definitely depends on what sounds good to you ... The V-3 will give you many choices, low wattage, 4 separate sound adjustments, etc... but it really comes down to what you like.

Archived