Gibson Brands Forums

P90 to Dirty Finger

pigvomit83

hi everyone! just signed up to the forum and i was wondering if you think that i could swap out the P90 in the bridge position to a Dirty Finger Humbucker on an Epiphone L.P. 56' Gold Top reissue? I believe that the P90 is a "soapbar" shape opposed to the "dogear".

Guest BentonC

Hi- welcome to the forum.

An experienced luthier could do the swap, but it would require re-routing the cavity to accept the humbucker, as it is a different size than the P-90. The Dirty Fingers pickup is a standard size humbucker, which won't fit into the P-90 cavity without modification to the guitar itself.

Next question- why do you want to swap from a P-90 to a Dirty Fingers? That P-90 is a sweet pickup!

ben,

Thank you for the reply and for the information. Well i was initially thinking of putting this in the bridge position so that i could have a crunchier/harder tone. My friends and play alot of "punk" type of music so i was looking for something to kind of match that. Now that i've been playing im thinking that i wont do that and maybe just get a different pedal & in time... a new amp.

Guest BentonC

Well, the Dirty Fingers is certainly popular for that tone- a much brighter pickup, and very hot. Totally understandable.

Let us know if you end up getting a pedal that puts the P-90 where you want it. I'd love to hear how it works out for you!

Hi PV,

For your future reference, you might note that many pickup makers offer P90s with windings done to spec so you can get the particular tone you are after.

Seymour Duncan is an obvious one. Others include Jason Lollar, Lindy Fralin and Pete Biltoft.

RN

• 1 month later...

why do you want to swap from a P-90 to a Dirty Fingers? That P-90 is a sweet pickup!

I agree!!

Seymour Duncan is an obvious one. Others include Jason Lollar, Lindy Fralin and Pete Biltoft.

RN

Lindy Fralin rules!

I have an 83 flying V whitch came with Dirty Fingers pups. They were too muddy, plenty of power but no definition. I teared them out, so I certainly don´t recomend them

Archived