Gibson Brands Forums

Goldtops

Twinhit

Just for gold tops? Why? Then you'd have a different forum for every different finish. What would be the point of that?

You asked me a few question in a different thread. Rather than derail a picture thread, I'll just answer you here.

You have a 2006 '56 reissue...known as an R6. The first 6 means it's a reissue of a 1956, the second 6 means the year it was built - in your case, 2006. That second 6 could also mean it's a 1996 but probably not since it was sold new recently. I think $2,600 is a good price from a store like Guitar Center but they sell privately for around $2,000, sometimes less. When prices hit rock bottom because of the recession, people were selling them for $1,500 - $1,700.

The sticker price on your guitar is $3,700 new. That's what's called the MAP (minimum advertised price). Authorized dealers, like Guitar Center, are not allowed to advertise them for less. Guitar Center also doesn't like selling them for less than the MAP but the problem is other stores sell them for much less. I could point to towards a few places that would sell you a brand new R6 for $2,600 - $2,700.

So, again, you got a good price from Guitar Center but you could have done better. If you absolutely love the guitar and don't care that you over-paid for it, then who cares? I, myself, have over-paid for a few of my guitars but they were worth every penny and I'm glad I have them.

A word to the wise - next time, do your homework before you buy. Guitar Center employees are full of crap and don't know what they're talking about half the time.

Read this thread if you want to learn more about Les Pauls. I posted it a while ago to help out newbies. Don't just read the first post. A few of my other posts have some good links - one is serial numbers.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

"Just for gold tops? Why? Then you'd have a different forum for every different finish. What would be the point of that?"

Well, considering the dedicated forum "1959 Les Paul Reissue" forum, http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=66 ,

I just thought it would be kinda nice as the '52-'57 or '58 Goldtops were something of a significant time period in

the early developing years of the Les Paul, without which, the cherished and sought after '59s would not have

seen the light of day and the rest would be an entirely different history.

But isn't that always the point in history? what would have happened "if "? Posting pictures of goldtops would be nice nevertheless

I hope nobody misunderstands' date=' I think flamed LPs are nice, but I thought that it would be interesting to see how many goldtop owners might be interested in the development history, the association with Les Paul, the man, and, like you, post a pic of their LPGT.

Maybe start an LPGT database or something.

Anyway, I have what I understand to be a 2006 '56 Goldtop (VOS?) It'd be cool to know how many of these specific historic year/model Goldtops were made that year. Per ser. Number, I'm guessing that Gibson made at least 450 Historic models that year but then I don't know if it means at least 450 of the exact same model as what I have or overall historic production. [biggrin

Archived