Gibson Brands Forums

Doubt with Les Paul serial number... fake or not?

bettiol

Guest rogerb

The serial number font looks odd and the bridge is definitely an Epiphone type. The binding on the neck looks correct. This is a tough call. Unfortunately we cannot roll a 1981 serial number in the Gibson data base.

Thaks for you replies guys!

I talked yesterday with the previous owner of the guitar, the one who sold it to me. He confirmed me that the bridge was changed (guitar's first owner -this guy's uncle- changed the original bridge because the chrome finish was cracking up. It seems to be he prefered the look more than the originality). So, there was once an original nashville-style bridge, but it was changed.

I've also found looking at ebay an 80's Gibson L6-S with a very similar serial number (size):

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980-Gibson-L6-S-L6S-Silverburst-Clean-w-Original-Case-/280526227918?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item4150aa89ce

Other doubt I have is if Grover tuners are supposed to be original, installed at the factory. I haven't seen many (not even one still) 79-80-81 LP Standard with those Grover "kidney-style" tuners...

The help you could bring will be extremely appreciated! Thanks again!

Thaks for you replies guys!

I talked yesterday with the previous owner of the guitar' date=' the one who sold it to me. He confirmed me that the bridge was changed (guitar's first owner -this guy's uncle- changed the original bridge because the chrome finish was cracking up. It seems to be he prefered the look more than the originality). So, there was once an original nashville-style bridge, but it was changed.

I've also found looking at ebay an 80's Gibson L6-S with a very similar serial number (size):

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980-Gibson-L6-S-L6S-Silverburst-Clean-w-Original-Case-/280526227918?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item4150aa89ce

Other doubt I have is if Grover tuners are supposed to be original, installed at the factory. I haven't seen many (not even one still) 79-80-81 LP Standard with those Grover "kidney-style" tuners...

The help you could bring will be extremely appreciated! Thanks again!

[/quote']It's real!

Period-correct ('80s-style) headstock inlay/logo

Fretboard fretboard binding "nibs"/"Celluloid" inlays

Correct "Les Paul Model" script on the headstock

And, if I'm not mistaken, I do believe that Grover Tuning Machines were standard on most, if not all early '80s Gibson LPs?

Here's the headstock of a Heritage Standard 80 for comparison:

p3_uyrn5lyxy_so.jpg

And, here's your's:

std4.jpg

Another doubt I have is with the word "MODEL" in the Les Paul decal on the headstock. Take a look to the Heritage Series headstock's photo that rockstar232007 showed, it has a different font.

Anyway, that font used in my guitar is properly used by Gibson, i've seen many les paul with that typography, but its more likely to find the one of the heritage series in the 80's era.

Also, the headstock size seems a bit small to me. the top of the headstock si 76 mm instead of 80 which is supposed to be...

Another doubt I have is with the word "MODEL" in the Les Paul decal on the headstock. Take a look to the Heritage Series headstock's photo that rockstar232007 showed' date=' it has a different font.

Anyway, that font used in my guitar is properly used by Gibson, i've seen many les paul with that typography, but its more likely to find the one of the heritage series in the 80's era.

Also, the headstock size seems a bit small to me. the top of the headstock si 76 mm instead of 80 which is supposed to be...[/quote']IMHO, you're just being paranoid! (I mean no disrespect btw)

The font of the script is fine, it's location is spot on, and everything else looks fine. As far as the size of the headstock goes, they all vary. All measurements have to fall into a specific parameter (usually within a few hundredths of an inch), but are almost never exact. This is especially true from one guitar to another. You could have two LPs made one right after another, and the measurements would still be slightly different.

I used the Heritage headstock pic as a referrence pic, just to give an idea of what an '81 headstock would look like. The size of the font (which is almost exactly the same as your's) may have been slightly different in '79-'80 (when the Heritage was produced).

So stop worrying and play yer geetar!;)

Archived