Gibson Brands Forums

Can someone help me date my LG1???

Metalmastermind

My great grandmother recently passed away, and upon cleaning out her shed they found an acoustic Gibson in its case. It had to be in that shed for at least 15 years and is in pretty bad condition. Guitar Center said it was produced between 1943 and 1967. But, because the inner serial paper has been long gone, they told me i had no hope. The only identification is an " LG1 " stamped under where the paper would be glued. Please let me know if you have any information. Thank You

- Zach

There are many good people here that can help you at least narrow it down to a range of a few years, if not the actual year. The LG-1 probably never had a paper label; I've never seen one anyway (not all Gibsons had labels inside). If there's no serial number on the back of the headstock, look inside the guitar and you may see a number inked on the neck block, likely four digits, a space, then two more (XXXX XX). The four digits are the factory order number and the last two represent the sequential unit. Most times they were made in batches of 40, so the last two numbers could be interpreted as 'XX' of 40. There may even be a letter in front of the numbers, which would narrow it down to 1952 to 1960. Z=1952, Y=1953, X-1954 and so on.

Upload some pics to a hosting site (photobucket, etc) and paste the links here, or just email them to me and I'll do it. Even without a number, there are physical attributes that can help date it.

Let us know what you find out.

Scott

Archived