Gibson Brands Forums

53 Gibson ES-125 and Bigsby B6

leiferikson01

I have a 1953 Gibson ES-125. Tailpiece isn't original, I don't think. Probably an era correct replacement, most likely. I'm not the original owner. Anyway, I love this guitar and I'd like to install a bigsby on it. The B6 seems to be the correct choice for this axe, right? Of course, I am in no way looking to drill any holes on this beauty but I'd just love to try a bigsby on it.

Has anyone done it before? Will the B6 even work? Hell, would any Bigsby even work on it? Also, I'd like to keep the original wooden bridge. and the string nut needs replacing anyway..

65626704.jpeg

Image is rather high res, so caution for those of you with slow internet.

Thanks!

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=32410

if your strap button is a screwed in you can totally do it without any adapter and without any drilling -- B6 would be the way to go.

That guitar would be so much fun to play with a Bigsby!

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it's a screwed strap button.

How did you do it? What I had in mind is get a piece of aluminum and make my own 'vibramate' or use a big washer and put it between the strap button and bigsby so it wont go anywhere

This is a lot of words, but this is so, so easy. Take off the current tailpiece & strap button.

The Bigsby should have felt pieces covering all the points that will come into contact with the guitar's finish. If any pieces are missing or you feel it is inadequate, get more felt.

Place the Bigsby on the guitar just like it'll be mounted to examine its dimensions & check your screw length, threads, and diameter -- the original screw will be too short, and the screws included with the Bigsby will be the wrong length, diameter, threads, or all 3.

The key to this method of installation is: the mounting screw must be of the same threads and diameter as the original. When you get a match at the hardware store get like 3 or 4 screws of different lengths (obviously, all longer than the original). The new screw needs to bite really good. Don't assume you eyeballed the right size, swallow your ego and get 4.

While you're at the hardware store, buy a 'fender washer' (I know, I know. That's the technical term for them).

It is possible that the mounting plate's screw hole is too small. If so, drill it out to the right size (it's easy, the metal is relatively soft).

It is also possible that you drilled too big a hole. If so, use the fender washer between the mounting plate and screw head. Since you bought extra screws, you will have at least one that's long enough to bite.

Ok so once you have your shlt together, mount it up & string it up. Properly wind the strings around the capstans (I can't stress this enough). Don't fully tighten the mounting screw yet. You need wiggle room so the string tension can pull the Bigsby into alignment. You may need to help it along with a little nudge.

Once it's aligned, tighten the screw down then test it out by cranking your amp and having an out-of-tune feedback party that would make the Gun Club proud.

This is a lot of words' date=' but this is so, so easy. Take off the current tailpiece & strap button.

The Bigsby should have felt pieces covering all the points that will come into contact with the guitar's finish. If any pieces are missing or you feel it is inadequate, get more felt.

Place the Bigsby on the guitar just like it'll be mounted to examine its dimensions & check your screw length, threads, and diameter -- the original screw will be too short, and the screws included with the Bigsby will be the wrong length, diameter, threads, or all 3.

The key to this method of installation is: the mounting screw must be of the [b']same threads and diameter[/b] as the original. When you get a match at the hardware store get like 3 or 4 screws of different lengths (obviously, all longer than the original). The new screw needs to bite really good. Don't assume you eyeballed the right size, swallow your ego and get 4.

While you're at the hardware store, buy a 'fender washer' (I know, I know. That's the technical term for them).

It is possible that the mounting plate's screw hole is too small. If so, drill it out to the right size (it's easy, the metal is relatively soft).

It is also possible that you drilled too big a hole. If so, use the fender washer between the mounting plate and screw head. Since you bought extra screws, you will have at least one that's long enough to bite.

Ok so once you have your shlt together, mount it up & string it up. Properly wind the strings around the capstans (I can't stress this enough). Don't fully tighten the mounting screw yet. You need wiggle room so the string tension can pull the Bigsby into alignment. You may need to help it along with a little nudge.

Once it's aligned, tighten the screw down then test it out by cranking your amp and having an out-of-tune feedback party that would make the Gun Club proud.

Alright, so to make sure I understand everything correctly.... I'll be getting 4 screws each of different lengths but same threads and diameters as the original bigsby mounting screws, correct? or as the strap button screw?

When you say the mounting plate's screw hole is too small, are you talking about the big hole where the strap button is suppose to go or the smaller holes where one would screw onto the guitar?

As I understand, the bigsby will be held in place on the strap button hole, right? Would it be able to handle the load of the bigsby and the string tension and not rip it apart?

Also, can I post a picture of your axe and how you did it?

Sorry for all the questions and whatnot, I just want to get it right.

thanks!

EDIT: my bad, I meant "Can you post a picture of your axe to see how you did it" sorry

Archived