Gibson Brands Forums

Another Music Retailer Monopoly: This one In Australia

Mr. Robot

Two of Australia's largest retailers of musical instruments are boasting that they have merged.

They had the gall to email me and tell me what great news it was.

Billy Hyde Music (some of you guys in the US may know of Billy Hydes) and Allans Music are the two.

Together, they will be the equivalent of a cartel.

Fortunately, I have bought most of my icon guitars, because look out when these two get together - it will be a disaster for the music industry in Australia.

One of the biggest problems is that they will decide what products will get sold in this country, rather than customer demand.

For example, Allans and Billy Hyde refuse to sell the new PolyTune tuner because they are in bed with Boss/Roland. It is a bloody discrace.

Yeah, I got an email about it too. Can't say I'm very thrilled about the idea either. I wondered about the monopoly problem as well. Fortunately, where I live I don't have to go into town to go to Allans. I have a fairly good guitarmusic center just up the road. That sucks about the Polytuner though.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest news on this is that the merger is a pre-emptive strike to save both Allans and Billy Hydes, because the American monolith GUITAR CENTER is coming to Australia.

This news could not be worse, given what you guys have said.

Currently, an independent outlet has the Gibson Australia Distribution Rights.

Please Gibson - dont buckle and transfer the distribution rights to Guitar Center just for the money or because they are American. Support the Australian independent who has been so loyal to Gibson.

Stupid question can you purchase out of country like Musicians Fried or AMS websites?

A friend of mine wanted to get some strings from Music123 because they are much cheaper than in Aus and they refused to ship them due to distribution rights held here.

Archived