Gibson Brands Forums

Need help identifying 1960's Gibson J-50 Gutiar

saross

My Dad died a couple of years ago and left me his collection of guitars, fiddles, banjo etc. Since he found such pleasure playing music I thought I owed it to him to try to learn to play the guitar. I really tried for nearly a year and just couldn't get the hang of it. After awhile I decided to let them go to others so they will continue to make music with someone who appreciates them as much as he did. I have decided that my artistic talents lie elsewhere so I need any info I can get on this Gibson guitar to make someone a fair deal.

I took it to a local music store and they told me what they could. We believe it is a 1960-1968

J-50 Gibson Guitar. The numbers on the back of headstock are 9484410. I thought they were just stamped in black ink but when I was photographing it the light hit it at an angle and I saw just the very slightest imprint. I have not been able to find any Gibson serial or factory order numbers with 7 digits.

Also, most 1960's do not have white "Gibson" logo on the pick guard.

Could the last zero be the letter O ? There is a worn spot on front below the bridge, checking or crazing on the front and it looks like maybe the the pick guard and bridge was removed and oversprayed and replaced, but that's just a guess.

So any descriptive details you can help me with would be greatly appreciated, especially the year it was made, anything that is not original and any defects , and if it is OK to discuss value in this forum I would like to know your opinions of a fair market value. Please forgive my photo sharing this is my first post in this forum.

IMG_4366_2_1.jpg

IMG_4365_1_1.jpg

IMG_4392_6_1.jpg

IMG_4385_5_1.jpg

IMG_4377_3_1.jpg

Thanks for any help you can give me, I appreciate your time.

Gibson serial numbers were strange in that era. I believe the pickguard with Gibson logo is a 1968 thing... not sure if it was used in '67 and/or '69 but there was likely some overlap. The belly-down bridge tells me 1968 or newer, and it was probably replaced at some point, as it would have had an adjustable saddle. If you peek inside, you may see brass threaded inserts in the bridge plate (unless they were filled or the plate replaced altogether).

As to value, I can't help you. Someting is worth exactly what someone is willing to offer. You could get it appraised by Gruhn for $50 but the appraisal value he gives is usually high; you could probably get 60% of what he appraises it at. You could also check completed items on ebay but bear in mind a year or two in either direction can drastically change the "going price".

Edit: 1968 is generally recognized as the last year for round shouldered J45/50s, although there are some '69s out there.

Scott

The serial number looks like 948410 to me as well. That serial number indicates 1968 as the year of manufacture.

We recommend Gruhn guitars for appraisals. www.gruhn.com But as KSdaddy suggested, ebay is a way to get a general idea of what people are asking for them (and check closed items to see what they are actually getting for them) Nice looking guitar.

Hey look what I found. A couple of old photos of my dad with this guitar. In one photo there is a Christmas tree and the guitar still has the price tag on it. The edge of the photo says 1969 so I bet it is a 1968 and he got it as a Christmas gift (for himself) and the pictures were not developed until January. I remember my mother being a bit upset because it was so expensive.

Oh I wish I could read that price tag! It did jar my memory I remember the logo on the tag as being a local music store that I believe is out of business now.

I also think the bridge is different.

DadGibsonr2.jpg

dadguitar.jpg

Archived