Gibson Brands Forums

Strap locks for 2010 production CS-356?

Scott Whigham

Having trouble in that the strap buttons on my Bigsby CS-356 are (a) too small, and (:-s the screws are so big that I can't find a standard strap lock to fit them. I've tried search and even posting on TGP but all I've found are complex answers involving either drills or super glue.

I have to think there is an easy fix/solution - when I look at pics of others' CS-356s, they have normal-sized buttons.

What do you guys who have CS-356 new productions (or the smaller strap buttons) use? It affects my playing every single day as I'm terrified to drop it :(

I don't have a pic of mine but here are examples:

Gibson-CS-356dW.jpg

First off, the neck position strap button is just small - I can put a washer in between it and the strap to make it fit better but I'd rather replace it and put strap locks on. Lastly, notice the length of the bottom strap button. This likely works better on a stop tail but, when you add the Bigsby on it, they still use the same strap button w/ no mods. This means you have about 1/4" less length on the strap button which makes it impossible to install a washer.

CS356-3.jpg

Here's what I would consider a "normal" size strap button:

cs356B.jpg

Thanks. Have you actually tried this on these factory installed Bigsbys w/ the current buttons they're putting on? As I mentioned, there's not enough room on the bottom w/ the Bigsby to do it. I guess I could unscrew it a few turns and try but that seems unsafe.

I don't have a suggestion or any experience with what to do about the Bigsby end, but I put Dunlop "Dual Design" Straploks my 2003 CS-356 and they've worked out fine for seven years.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=139&pmh=products/accessories

The center neck heel location can seem a little "floppy" with the added "height" of the button + lok. The guitar has a slighter greater tendency for the bass side to rotate along the neck axis towards the floor -- but that hasn't bothered me at all. The peace of mind/security has been well worth it. As I recall, the Dunlop screws were a direct replacement for what was on mine, but I may have tucked part of a wooden toothpick in the guitar before screwing those in -- no glue.

I hope it works out for you. They have for me (without the Bigsby). I'm not sure I'd trust them for long with my pride & joy, but the head on the the 'dual design' model is big enough to accomodate a regular strap without the loks attached. I've gotten by with a borrowed strap when I forgot to pack mine!

Ugh - didn't work. I should have asked, "Hey - do you have the Bigsby?" The top/neck one fits but the bottom one doesn't fit b/c the screw is too small. I'll head to the hardware to try to see if there's any way to get a screw that will work but I doubt it. Basically the thread size on the original Gibson screw is about 25-40% larger than the strap lock one. And, due to the design, the screw for the strap lock has to go all the way down into the strap lock thingie. Low hopes...

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly, I put standard straploks on mine and I used the existing Gibson screw which was larger, so I took a dremel tool and shaved around the head of the screw until it fit into the straplok recessed slot. It barely fit and it very tight without glue, toothpicks or filler.

Horror Story:

Having depended upon straploks for over 20 years, I forgot to look for wear.

From waist-height, the straplok failed (on the strap) and my beautiful CS-356 smashed onto the bare cement floor hitting perfectly on its side. One tuning key was slightly bent and there is a barely visable 1/2" crack on the side at where the input jack is located.

I am glad the back, side and tone block are all carved from a single piece of wood.

Mine is a 2005 and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Archived