Gibson Brands Forums

Line Out and FX Loop Mods

cGil

Here's a few ideas about what you can do with a loop...

cGil wrote on SEwatt.com:

> A 12ax7 preamp tube is a twin triode, and it has two stages of preamp-level amplification.

> The Loop-D-Junior is installed between these two stages of the preamp. Having a loop in

> your amp opens up many possibilities.

> You can plug your guitar into the normal guitar input, and use the loop to send a line-level,

> preamp tube-flavored signal out to a processor...

> Or,

> you can plug your guitar into the normal guitar input, and use the loop to send a preamp

> tube-flavored signal out to a processor AND return it to the amp for power amplification...

> Or,

> you can plug your guitar into a modeling processor's guitar input, and send the processor's

> output signal to the loop's return, thereby using the amp only for power amplification...

> Or,

> You can simply ignore it, plug your guitar into the normal guitar input, and use the amp as

> you normally would...

>

>

> All the basic rules of tube amps still apply in any of these scenarios, such as, you still need

> a speaker load attached to the amp so you don't burn up the output transformer.

And here are a few ideas about what you can do with a line-out...

milligan (that's me!) wrote on the old Epi forum:

> To get the whole amp's signal to the board, you can use a line out taken off one of the

> output transformer taps. You can make this with a couple of resistors and a jack, get

> fancy with a level contol pot, or just do it the easy way and buy a Behringer GI100.

> But the amp will still need a speaker load. That's where attenuators (dummy loads)

> come in, and some of these have a built in line out. Do some research on what's available.

And here's more food for thought on what you can do with both loops and line-outs in your arsenal...

I have three VJr's for my house rig. One of the VJrs has a line-out off the OT (output transformer). This post power tube line-out equipped VJr is my primary 'dry' center channel amp. The two other VJr's have FX loops. I call these my 'wet' amps for the stereo delays and reverbs I pump through them.

I also have an old Lexicon MPX-G2, which is like two digital processors in one. One half is mono and works with guitar level input and output signals, just like most analog guitar floor pedals, so I'll refer to this as my 'pedalboard'. The other half is stereo, and works with line level signals, so I'll refer to this as my 'stereo processor'.

So I plug my guitar into my 'pedalboard' and send the signal from that to the normal guitar input jack of my "dry" amp. I run a cable from the line-out of the 'dry' amp to the mono, line level input of the 'stereo processor'. The output of the 'stereo processor' feeds the signal return side of the loops in the two 'wet VJr's.

I gotta tell ya... 3-way wet/dry stereo is a truly awesome thing when you hear your delays ping ponging around the room. Rotarys, chorus, and flanger patches are downright freeky they're so good! Surround sound ROCKS!

So enjoy! :-k

Gil...

Archived