Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Masterbilt- buff gloss top?

aznxtasy341

ive got an 04' EF-500RVS and my lutheir buffed the top with some polishing compound only on the top left shoulder. so it looks terrible. recently i have tried to buff it myself without using a buffing wheel, and i managed to put a little gloss on it, but not nearly as much as the glass finish my tech put on it.

is there enough finish on the top to continue buffing? otherwise how long will it be before i hit the bare wood.

also does anybody have any tips or techniques possibly using the meguairs scratch X trick or similar to buff the satin bodies into a glassy-gloss finish?

ive got an 04' EF-500RVS and my lutheir buffed the top with some polishing compound only on the top left shoulder. so it looks terrible. recently i have tried to buff it myself without using a buffing wheel' date=' and i managed to put a little gloss on it, but not nearly as much as the glass finish my tech put on it.

is there enough finish on the top to continue buffing? otherwise how long will it be before i hit the bare wood.

also does anybody have any tips or techniques possibly using the meguairs scratch X trick or similar to buff the satin bodies into a glassy-gloss finish?[/quote']

I've been polishing my AJ500RC. The Rosewood looks so much better...I think!!

I haven't used a wheel or anything, just Scratch X and Elbow Grease. The more I rub the better it gets.

It does take a while so just keep at it. :-({|=

I also own an EF-500RVS and I have been tempted to polish it. The pictures of polished Masterbilts that have been posted here and on the AGF forum are attractive. I have changed my mind though: I have come to love my guitar AS IT IS. I have purchased it 2 years ago and its tone has grown unexpectedly. It sound so good that I know I will never part from it. And therefore I want "her" to change naturally, you know, like a person that ages. I also feel very comfortable playing this guitar, with a very natural approach.

Actually I'm beginning to feel "she" has a personality. Is this a little extreme? It might be.

Nevertheless, aznxtasy341, your situation is different, since the luthier already modified the look of the guitar.

Since I need to plug in I'm thinking of buying an EF-500MVS, so I can modify the new one without altering my rosewood one. A local store has two of these guitars, one from 2004 and one from 2005. They are also incredibly good.

Dagwood is right about needing plenty of elbow grease with the scratch x. Polishing a little bit at a time by hand will take a while, but will keep you from rubbing down to the bare wood. The sealer coat of poly or laquer is tough, but pretty thin. If a polishing tool is used I would think you would need a special type of pad to make sure you don't polish right through the sealer into the bare wood. Wait for some expert advise from some of the seasoned players on this forum; seems like they are always willing to help.

Why did he only buff part of it? Did he do a repair or something?

yea i showed him this really weird looking mark that only showed in different angles of light and so i guess his remedy was to f***ing buff 1/8th of the body and leave the rest satin. he did this with a buffing wheel so im amazed he didnt penetrate the finish and i just hope if i use the scratch X ill be able to get it as shiny as that

AZN,

No Worries dude. Like I said, I've been hand rubbing on mine. When I work in the an area of about 8-10 inches square at a time I can see almost instant results. It'll take a few coats and at first some hard rubbing. Just be patient and by the third or fourth coat you'll be smiling. ](*,)

D-

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for flogging a dead horse, but after about 2 days of hardcore Scratch X wiping i am getting nowhere. it wont get any more glossy than that sort of half way look between satin and glossy. and i doing something wrong?

im just applying the cream directly to the guitar, wiping vigourously, leaving it on for 1 minute and then wiping off and repeating, but i am getting almost no results..

How long are you rubbing on it? You don't just rub it on to cover the area... You need to really rub it in.

I'll rub on an area for 5-10 minutes at time...adding a little dab of extra polish to keep things moist. Eventually you'll feel that its getting smooth, just keep rubbing, (keep your tshirt or rag moist though) and when your tired.. let it dry and use another tshirt or soft/clean rag to wipe off.

Rinse and repeat over and over.

i leave it on for about 3 minutes then wipe it off. ive also used it in conjunction with Meguairs deep cyrstal step 2 polish.

and as i said i have put probably more elbow grease at this point than required (almost 6 hours just on the top!) with no sucess

i leave it on for about 3 minutes then wipe it off. ive also used it in conjunction with Meguairs deep cyrstal step 2 polish.

and as i said i have put probably more elbow grease at this point than required (almost 6 hours just on the top!) with no sucess

So your polishing the TOP? Oh.. I haven't and won't do that to mine.

Have you worked on the sides or back yet?

I know the horse is out of the barn on this particular guitar, but I was reading on another forum that it might not nbe wise ot use the Scratch X product. It seems it contains silicone oils that are difficult to im[possible to remove should the need ever arise to make a repair to the guitar or refinish it.

Further reading here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119438

I arrived on this forum by accident ,I usually view the electric forums .I use Chroma 1500 autofinish .its a US product .I use it for model autos where I want a perfect finish but no silicone.It contains no polish at all just a fine 1500 grit ,too minute to leave a scratch and can be sprayed straight over with paint .I have actually tried it with Nitro to prove .it .It leaves no polish smears .I have used it to polish up 2 HW 1 fenders with satin Nitro finish plus dozens of 1/43 models .It works great on polyurethene 2 pack like most modern finisher's use, which is what it was designed for .perhaps it will help someone .

I know the horse is out of the barn on this particular guitar' date=' but I was reading on another forum that it might not nbe wise ot use the Scratch X product. It seems it contains silicone oils that are difficult to im[possible to remove should the need ever arise to make a repair to the guitar or refinish it.

Further reading here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119438

[/quote']

Yup.. Saw that Tynee.. I'm not too worried.

You have to rub it in. Not just leave it on and rub it off.

I actually used a product called Flitz (metal polish), which is supposed to be more abrasive than Scratch X, then Meguires step 2. It worked out weel. Took about 6 hours for the back/sides/top.

I put some on pieces of an old T-shirt and rubbed. It did take some time and patience, but rub hard, with the grain and you'll see results.

• 3 years later...

ive got an 04' EF-500RVS and my lutheir buffed the top with some polishing compound only on the top left shoulder. so it looks terrible. recently i have tried to buff it myself without using a buffing wheel, and i managed to put a little gloss on it, but not nearly as much as the glass finish my tech put on it.

also does anybody have any tips or techniques possibly using the meguairs scratch X trick or similar to buff the satin bodies into a glassy-gloss finish?

I just picked up a 05 Epiphone EF500RVS and really love feel of it and sound. I'm not crazy about the satin finish on it though. Your posting was from quite a while back but do you have any suggestions on buffing the satin finish to a gloss finish? Any pictures of gloss finished masterbilts by any chance? I'm new to this forum and forums in general so if anyone has suggestions on buffing out satin finish on masterbilts and any pictures I would really appreciate it.

I just picked up a 05 Epiphone EF500RVS and really love feel of it and sound. I'm not crazy about the satin finish on it though. Your posting was from quite a while back but do you have any suggestions on buffing the satin finish to a gloss finish? Any pictures of gloss finished masterbilts by any chance? I'm new to this forum and forums in general so if anyone has suggestions on buffing out satin finish on masterbilts and any pictures I would really appreciate it.

I'd take it back to your luthier and tell him to finish the job.

Does anyone have any pictures (or direct me to) of Epiphone Masterbilts that have had the satin finish buffed out into a glossy-glass finish? I just got an EF-500RVS and am not real happy with the satin finish. Thanks.

Archived