Gibson Brands Forums

Epi vs. Washburn

Tynee

So, I'm the latest Newbie, and I've got GAS bad for my first guitar. I've narrowed it down to the Epi AJ-200S or the Washburn D10S. I'm also trying to decide whether or not its worth the extra $100 to go ahead and get the CE version of whichever one I go with.

Anybody ever owned both of these to compare for me? They get basically the same reviews everywhere I've read. I've played (read: picked at) both of them in local stores, although not side by side, and am thrilled with the sound of either one. If it came down to appearance, I think the Epi is more aesthetically pleasing. What I'm wondering about is will either of them age better than the other, and which one will stay in tune better?

On the electronics, will I have a use for the electronics now, or would I be just as well off to wait until I upgrade down the road, and get a better guitar with better electronics?

I own an Epiphone and a Washburn, and they are both excellant guitars. The Timbercraft Washburns compare nicely with the Epiphone Masterbilts and the Blueridges.

My experience with the lower priced Washburns and Epiphones is that both will give you good "bang for the buck". I would recommend playing both and pick the one that "speaks" to you. One thing I'm not sure about is whether the Epiphone you are considering has a solid top or not. I know for sure that the Washburn D10S does have a solid top.

If the Epiphone has a solid top its probably a toss up. If it doesnt, I would go with the Washburn D10S

CTF

Archived