Gibson Brands Forums

sheraton II vintage sunburst

Prospero

Not that I'm buying a new guitar anytime soon... but I've developed a bit of a crush on the Sheraton II.

Here's the thing, I really like this vintage sunburst finish:

orange.jpg

But all the ones I've seen in person have this VS finish:

yellow.jpg

Do they still come in that reddish-orangey Vintage Sunburst, or is it just the more traditional yellowish one?

Recently the vintage sunburst finish that many Sheratons are made in has changed colour from a black on deep red colour to a black on orange-yellow colour, it is unknown why Epiphone has affected this change in the guitars.

I have very recently purchased a new Sheraton II and am very impressed by the sound it produces and the quality of the guitar. One thing I have noticed is that the serial number is not stamped onto the back of the headstock, but can be viewed through the f-hole written onto the epiphone certificate . I did buy it new from a very reputable dealer and don't doubt its authenticity. Does anyone know if this is now the practice?

The Sheraton II is everthing they say it is!

Not that I'm buying a new guitar anytime soon... but I've developed a bit of a crush on the Sheraton II.

Here's the thing' date=' I really like this vintage sunburst finish:

[img']http://homepage.mac.com/mirandafamily/orange.jpg[/img]

But all the ones I've seen in person have this VS finish:

yellow.jpg

Do they still come in that reddish-orangey Vintage Sunburst, or is it just the more traditional yellowish one?

The sunburst color scheme in the first guitar was derived from the Matsumoku sunbursts of the late 70's/early-mid 80's(which were called "antique sunburst)and continued to be used when Samick began production in 1986 in Korea. (the first guitar pictured is a Samick-made instrument from a bit later-early 90's). When they moved production to the contract and Chinese factories they went to the more Gibson-like "vintage sunburst" which as far as I know the only sunburst available on the Sheraton these days.

...and Al's your uncle.

Archived