Gibson Brands Forums

changing sg jr nut?

johnnyb

I changed the tuners and strings in my sg jr and now I'm getting fret buzz that I didn't get before. I had heard that I can replace the nut to eliminate this and should also help the tone due to original being made out of plastic, Any suggestions? Is this something I should take to a pro to due or would that be a waste of money. Im still looking at replacing the stock p'up with the gfs and would appreciate any comments from anyone who has already done this. Thanks

It`s not hard i`ve done many of them but i alos have the file set to do this..Might be better to let the local tech do this for you .Not sure what you want to replace it with ,bone,metal,plastic and so on ..

Question did it do this before you work on it ? really might just need a good set up on it . Guitars do need a good tune up done every so offen ,Opps tune up ,just havin a good tech do a good once over to check things out neck adjustment bridge checked and so on .. i do lots of them no big deal should cost you about 35 dollars

for the tech to go through your AX and he might just replace the nut free for you ..

thanks for the reply, I would've got back sooner but was out of town. I didn't really notice it before I changed the strings and tuners. I wasn't sure what to replace it with because I keep hearing different things and I'm not sure what would be best. I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck but my playing ability isn't up to spending $700 or so for a Les Paul etc.

Archived