Gibson Brands Forums

muff + overdrive + Jr ver. 3 = ??? !! HELP WANTED !!

HELP WANTED: Only EXPERIENCED pedal drivers need reply ---

I have a Jr. ver 3 head and Keeley BD-2 blues driver. Have read reviews of the EH Big Muff pi (russian, usa and the little big & double muff) that say:

"best fuzz/muff tones are when you add a distortion pedal like the BD-2 or Ibanez TS-9."

To anyone out there using this setup (stock Valve Jr., Boss/Keeley BD-2 and a big muff), what is your take on the double distortion pedal chain?[/color] Which Muff is best/better/junk? B)

All you can do is try. Tone is purely subjective, as you know, so it's entirely possible that something that somebody else thinks works will sound putrid to you.

I've never actually used a muff myself, but have built a few different fuzzes, and several boosters, distortions, and overdrive circuits. Some dirt boxes sound fantastic when stacked with others, some sound like mush. And, it matters which is boosting which, also.

As to what muff is best/better, again, this is a purely subjective subject. Here's some interesting reading:

Big Muff versions

Mods

Terrific useful info at the links you included - THANK YOU M-THEORY. =D>

I'm leaning towards trying the current Russian version based mostly on the "mids" since that's where my setup with the Keeley BD-2 seems to need a boost.

If anyone is using the Keeley/Boss BD-2 (or Ibanez TS-9) with the current Russian Muff - your thoughts, please?

Not to rule out the possibility of it happening, but this may not be the best forum to dig for that kind of insight. You might have better luck posing that question at:

DIY Stompbox

The guys that hang out there have been modding, building, designing, and combining every kind of dirt circuit you can think of, for a considerable amount of time.

Also, if the BD2 is just missing some mids, somebody over there will be able to tell you how to fix that. I've done Keeley mods to tube screamers and my DS1, but not a BD2 yet, so I'm not terribly familiar with the circuit or the mods.

Archived