Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone F.T. 30

rocker10684

Im just trying to find out some information on this old Epiphone ft30 that i was given by my grandpa, the tag inside says Model FT 30 No. 50804 Epiphone, INC. , New York,N.Y., USA, does anyone have any idea around the time this guitar was produced? It doesnt say Caballero in the model name, so i think it must be pre-gibson, but i dont know.

• 3 weeks later...
Im just trying to find out some information on this old Epiphone ft30 that i was given by my grandpa' date=' the tag inside says Model FT 30 No. 50804 Epiphone, INC. , New York,N.Y., USA, does anyone have any idea around the time this guitar was produced? It doesnt say Caballero in the model name, so i think it must be pre-gibson, but i dont know.[/quote']

Yours is one of the pre-Gibson New York City- made models and dates to 1944. These aren't tremendously in demand by collectors and they were ladder braced topped entry-level/student instruments so there isn't going to be a huge premium. IN really good condition you're probably looking at around $800 as a mid point. About the same as for a Gibson LGO from the era which was in a similar marketing niche as a contemporary of the FT-30. Have fun with the guitar, enjoy the guitar and don't focus on value. It's worth far more to you being that it came from your grandfather than what some sleazy musical instrument dealer is willing to part with to part you from it. Good luck.

...and Al's your uncle.

Archived