Gibson Brands Forums

OT question

This may sound like a dumb question, but I have to ask. What would happen if I were to use an output transformer from a 5E3 amp in a 5F1 circuit? I realize that the 5F1 is SE and the 5E3 is PP. Would I damage something?

This may sound like a dumb question' date=' but I have to ask. What would happen if I were to use an output transformer from a 5E3 amp in a 5F1 circuit? I realize that the 5F1 is SE and the 5E3 is PP. Would I damage something?[/quote']

I don't believe you'd damage anything, but the amp may not sound all that great. An SE transformer has an air gap in the laminations to prevent core saturation. SE OTs also have to be physically bigger, which is why a 125ESE is much bigger than a 125E; both are rated at 15 watts.

Having said that, Hammond used to bill the 125E series as a universal replacement for SE and PP use. It sounds okay in SE circuits for being a PP transformer, but is not ideal. Then when Hammond started selling the 125SE series, they dropped SE from the 125E series description.

tung

Archived