Gibson Brands Forums

Binding

GuitarGod319

Binding basically does 2 things. It covers up the joint where the top meets the body but also offers protection at the corners.

It is fitted into a seam, glued somehow then shaved to the correct size before finishing. As an oposite example Paul Reid Smith has no binding on his PRS guitars and leaves the raw edge of the maple visible.

What do you want to add binding to, and what for ?.

Gary

Binding is added before the finish, so you have to strip the finish. The you rout a rabbet around the edge you want bound, then glue the binding around the edge. Then you have to sand and scrape it to match the edges to the wood and refinish. It is a lot harder than it sounds. It takes an awful lot of elastic bands and planning. If you want to do a neck, then you also have to refret the guitar, and you add a ton of other headaches if you want the binding nibs like on Gibsons. Binding is usually a celluloid plastic, but can be other materials such as wood. If you want a guitar bound, take it to a luthier. Better yet, buy one with binding on it already.

Binding basically does 2 things. It covers up the joint where the top meets the body but also offers protection at the corners.

It is fitted into a seam' date=' glued somehow then shaved to the correct size before finishing. As an oposite example Paul Reid Smith has no binding on his PRS guitars and leaves the raw edge of the maple visible.

What do you want to add binding to, and what for ?.

Gary[/quote']

i don't want to add binding to anything.im not gonna waste my time with that.im just gonna save up for a LP standard (which i am).i was just asking.

Archived