Gibson Brands Forums

Effects loop vs Line in

51xt33

I've done some research on here and I'm a little confused because depending on who posted, I get conflicting advice.I also have not been able to really find anything that answers exactly what I need help with either. I understand the need to put delay and such after the distortion and some of the other great advice I've learned while wearing out the search function of this site the past couple of months!

My question is, or questions are.

1. On my VJr that has the Marshall mod, I want to be able to use my PODxt with the AMP modelling turned off and just use the FX portion of the pedal. I have an ART TUBE MP Studio V3 that I crank the input portion and normally keep the output dialed no higher than 9:00. What would work best for me,

-running everything through the front door;

-TUBE MP through the front and add an FX Loop for the PODxt

-running the TUBE MP and PODxt through a line in. (I doubt this one because I really want to keep the Jrs pre tube in the chain.

2. Pretty sure I've read enough to have the answer on this one. I am getting a second head and will want it have as much clean head room as I can. It will be used just as a tube amp, similar to like an Atomic. I probably want to go with a line in on this and feed the PODxt's signal in this way, bypassing the Jrs preamp section.... correct???

Thanks in advance. By the way, I do all my work in our engineering lab. I work for a contract manufacturer of circuit boards so I know a little about electronics and safety and have access to most components, just lack some knowledge in the tube amp area. Though, thanks to this forum and people like Gil and layboomo I know a lot more, but still a noob.

The Art Tube MP is pretty flexible. I had an early version that I've used as a pedal board effect along with an Art Tube Compressor. They can also work in a line level fx loop.

I'm not totally convinced the input of the POD is able to handle a line level signal that well. I'm thinking maybe the ART could help attenuate the signal before it gets to the POD, although I haven't tried that and the local POD I had access to has gone. What I do know is that the POD sounded best with a guitar on the input and the output feeding an amp's fx loop input.

Gil...

quote "I'm not totally convinced the input of the POD is able to handle a line level signal that well. I'm thinking maybe the ART could help attenuate the signal before it gets to the POD,"

I have used the TUBE MP to attenuate the signal going into the VJr. before I installed an master volume attenuator between the OT and the 16 ohm output jack. I'm kinda nervous about throwing the TUBE MP in front on the POD. Not sure if the PODs input could handle that. Would the VJrs fx loop out be too much for the input of the POD too? I use to plug my guitar into the input of my Rocktron Rampage and run the pod through the effects loop to take advantage of all the fx offered i the POD.

Again, I'm a noob and might jave misunderstood what you are meaning.

Just keep the input level on the POD down, and it'll work. A single gain stage for a guitar signal doesn't get you a really hot signal, and without a cathode follower stage to drive it, the POD will still see a high impedance signal from the loop output. Which is good. Not perfect, mind you, and while it did work and sounded good when we tried it, the general consensus was that it sounded best with a guitar into the POD into the VJr loop return. Anyway, if you overdrive the input of the VJr with another pedal while driving the POD from the loop, watch out for clipping the POD's AD converters. It shouldn't hurt 'em, but it does sound nasty, so turn the POD's input way down if you gotta.

Gil...

Thanks Gil. I'm going to add your Loop d Jr to the amp next week, waiting on the jacks to get here. I'll take your advice and when I'm using the POD full force (amp and cabinet modelling) I'll run it into the Loop d's return. When using the POD in place of a pedal board and the amp and cab modeling are turned off, you're saying to add the TUBE MP between the FX send and the POD's input to attenuate the signal coming into the POD so I don't clip the AD converters. Correct? I haven't ever ran the ART in front of the POD as I was worried about damaging the POD.

Yep. Better to risk clipping the ART's input opamp than the POD's AD converter. But it doesn't have to be there. You can run the POD in the loop all by itself. That's how I tried it anyway. But definitely try the tube MP, too, and post what you think about it.

Gil...

Archived