Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dove

Obed

When I was growing up, my dad used to play some cheap no-name Gibson Dove knock-off. To me, the Dove's pickguard and bridge were the very definition of what an acoustic guitar is supposed to look like.

About eight years ago I was surfing the web considering purchasing my first acoustic/electric guitar as I had gotten sick of using magnetic pickups on my ailing Alvarez. I stumbled upon an ad for a bright red acoustic/electric Epiphone Dove and was hit by a wave of nostalgia.

I drove on over to my local Mars shop and saw that they had two of 'em. I plugged it in and played for about 10 minutes before I was certain this was going to be my axe. In addition to being a beloved Dove, the preamp and pickup was amazing (Epiphone Electar 7, I think). I paid $300 for it; it became my main workhorse on my church's worship band for the next several years.

I've noticed for the last few years, though, that the new Epi Doves are either yellow (like the Gibsons) or black. And they're not acoustic/electric. It's a real shame, 'cuz mine is an amazing guitar. I've gotten so many compliments to the plugged-in sound over the years, that it's hard to believe this is a $300 guitar. I don't think the new ones feel as sturdy either.

These days I still use it a lot, though I may have to get the frets redone. Years of using 13's and a capo have caused indentations on some of the lower frets. I think if it ever got irreparably damaged, I'd probably try to at least salvage the pickup/preamp for my next axe.

Anyone else owned the obscenely red acoustic/electric Epiphone Dove?

Anyone else owned the obscenely red acoustic/electric Epiphone Dove?

Never seen a red one, but I'll bet it's down right purty. Electric Doves and 'Birds come

and go. They may come back around again some time, just keep your eyes peeled.

Hey bro, running into you here now too. I've had both Gibson and epi doves. Loved the ac/elec Epi dove, actually more than the Gibson. I wore mine out many years ago and didn't think it was worth the money for a refret. You are correct IMHO about the new ones. inferior by comparison to the old ones. See you somewhere Obed!

Archived