Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Electrics Prices in Australia

BluezOldy

Matt' date=' me old cobber,

I just realised we haven't seen a picture of the new SG yet ... you know the forum rules! :-({|=

Ron ...[/quote']

True that!...i almost forgot to post pics.

Heres my baby:

- Gibson SG Standard Left-handed

- Marshall AVT150X

IMG_7993.jpg

IMG_7994.jpg

IMG_7997.jpg

IMG_8000.jpg

I love them! And only have one complaint...the bastards at Gibson didnt exactly make the center console fit perfectly so the headstock angles towards the left side when in the case (visible in pics). Nothing else...other than that its perfect (though i still would rather a LP).

While im on the subject of my guitar. Im currently looking for a Left Handed Epi Elitist LP. I know theyre EXTREMLY rare, and personally i dont know why anyone who owned one would want to sell one, but id love to add one to my collection. I spotted one on ebay a while back but it sold before i got the OK from my parents. So if anyone knows of, sees or finds one PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

True that!...i almost forgot to post pics.

While im on the subject of my guitar. Im currently looking for a Left Handed Epi Elitist LP. I know theyre EXTREMLY rare' date=' and personally i dont know why anyone who owned one would want to sell one, but id love to add one to my collection. I spotted one on ebay a while back but it sold before i got the OK from my parents. So if anyone knows of, sees or finds one PLEASE LET ME KNOW![/quote']

That's truly beautiful. I hope you enjoy it for a long, long time. Funny but despite having strats, a tele, an LP, a Dot & an SG (knock-off brand), I always feel lot more comfortable with the SG and seem to find my way back to it. So does my teenage daughter - she's allowed to play any of my guitars and more often than not it's the SG she picks. It's hard to explain but it just seems to fit right. My next purchase will be hopefully be a Gibson SG.

I wonder why Elitists aren't imported and sold in Australia?

It was Rolf on "Tie Me Kangaroo Down" and it is not uncommon in Australian music to have a didge playing away in the background....I quite like it. If you think that song was a bit strange you should hear "My Boomerang Wont Come Back" which was also popular back in the 60's. I'll mail it to you if you send me your e-mail by P.M.

"Cracks and neck" snappage? The cracks are in the ground (drought) and neck snappage only happens when they fall out of the bloody tree. "Lifetime Warranty" I think is more like "Concrete Warranty" and then there are the termites!! Have a good'n Dig

Oh I remember "My Boomerang.." .."My gawd, I thinks I hit the Flying Doctor"... That was another

humerous one by Rolf.

I'm reading that you must be talking about the aboriginals falling out of a tree,

collecting special wood for these didgereedoos to get that unique resonant tone.

Are there any custom guitar builders in Australia?

carverman & Digger' date='

Have a listen to the way Australian guitarist Tommy Emmanuel recreates an Aboriginal sound on his acoustic:

[/quote']

Pretty amazing and a very unique style. With a bridge piezo and built in equalizer, you

can get a lot of different percussion sounds from various parts of the guitar. This is

an acoustic guitar, but the principle is the same with solid bodies and the tone woods

they are made of.

• 1 month later...

Dragging up an old topic...

Just got my newsletter from Allan's music which says that the RRP on Gibson and Epiphone instruments has just come down in Australia. The GibsonAMI site hasn't been updated, but for some examples (at Allan's music at any rate):

Gibson LP Studio - $1,499

Epiphone LP Studio - $549

Those two leapt out at me as having come down, though the Wildkat at $1,299 doesn't seem to have changed from my recollection of its previous price.

Gibson guitars will never be cheap in Australia - no matter what our $ is worth against the US $. We have far too many taxes on them (import duty, GST etc) and too many middle men to wet their lips. But if we do look at what we paid for an American guitar in the 1980s , they are a lot cheaper now (but still expensive). The best price I ever got for a guitar in Sydney was $840 for a brand new Epiphone Sherraton II with case and $700 for a new Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster without case but a gig bag ( got rid of that gig bag and bought a hardshell case for $85.00)

here they are

RLgig08_web.jpg

RLgig08_03web.jpg

Just for my input' date=' id like to say that i do think its a bit of greed on behalf of the stores.

They obviously know that the problems and extended time caused by overseas shipping means they can up their prices because its still that much easier for the customer to buy it then and there.

Ive got first hand experience. I walked into (the afore mentioned) Gallins Guitars in Melbourne and saw potentially the only Left Handed SG Standard i had found in Australia, after EXTENSIVE research. I had looked into a few from the US and abroad but the lower prices from 2nd hand sellers meant that id still cop sjipping fees + customs + duty + quarantine, so it really wasnt worth going 2nd hand for the price.

Anyway...i walked into Gallins and saw this SG Lefty for $3000AUD. Being 17 and on a bidged of $1500, i was screwed major!

BUT, thankfully my dad (the king of bargaining...available for hire if anyone likes this story lol) was with me. And before i could finish checking out the guitar and playing a few noted through the stored 'Orange' amp, my dad had worked the guy down to $2150 + leather strap + gibson vintage strings+ circuit breaker cable + chromatic tuner + hard case + 2yrs store warranty + a free setup withing 12 months...not a bad effort in my opinion.

But the point of the story is that if within 5mins my dad could get that out of a store like Gallin's it just goes to show that there is a massive markup. Obviously more than $1000 on this particular guitar because they didnt fret (pardon the pun) in dropping the price $850 and adding a whole lot of expensive extras.

Just my 2 cents.[/quote']

Did you know that $2100 is the street price for a SG Standard and actual fact for a while last year they were sell for $1999 with goodies - so if people are smart they will take 25-30% off Retail price and most store will sell it at that.

I got my Gibson SG Standard for $2099 new from Billy Hyde in 2006.

here it is

1SGstd-1.jpg

GibStandgig_web09.jpg

Archived