Gibson Brands Forums

Memphis / VOS Lee Ritenour 335

Rick Page

Two questions:

-Long Neck Tennon: Does the VOS Lee Ritenour have a long neck tennon or a standard neck tennon. After discussing this with Gibson customer service and not getting a definative answer, I am left with a bit of confusion over the matter. The Gibson dealer in my area claims it does have a long neck tennon but Gibson customer service was not sure due to the fact it is not advertised as having one.

-Fret dressing: are the frets on the VOS Lee Ritenour 335 dressed with the PLEK machine?

There's a promo video somewhere on that oh-so-easy to navigate Gibson Web site (from the new "custom" minisite, I believe) that mentions all the ES guitars at the Memphis plant are PLEK'd - they mention it as if it's being done before the neck gets mounted, before finishing, and before assembly with tuning machines and a bridge. Therefore it's only a rudimentary fret leveling/crowning when compared to what a repair tech would do with the PLEK (they have a step that analyzes the neck with the strings on before they start the work, that doesn't seem to be done at the factory). With that in mind, I have to point out that the fretwork and action on my ES-339 (from the same plant in Memphis) are impeccable. Guitars from other makers do not get any fret level/crown at the factory so this is a big step in the evolution of modern guitar manufacture. A few years ago the PLEK was used only on Historics from the Nashville Custom Shop, now it's used on production ES guitars from the Memphis plant (ahem, "custom shop"), so maybe they'll start using it on all their necks?

For what it's worth, my 339 has a long neck tenon (not the tightest fit, and it's actually rather narrow, but it does extend well into the neck pickup rout) even though the specs on the Web site do not include it as a feature.

• 5 months later...
Two questions:

-Long Neck Tennon: Does the VOS Lee Ritenour have a long neck tennon or a standard neck tennon. After discussing this with Gibson customer service and not getting a definative answer' date=' I am left with a bit of confusion over the matter. The Gibson dealer in my area claims it does have a long neck tennon but Gibson customer service was not sure due to the fact it is not advertised as having one.

-Fret dressing: are the frets on the VOS Lee Ritenour 335 dressed with the PLEK machine?[/quote']

Let's take it again: ALL ES-335s have long neck tennons... how can anybody miss that ???? The two Historic models have long tennons of a slightly wider type. It's simply amazing that the people at Gibson Customer Service don't know it - even I'm sure they don't know what a neck tennon is...

And by the way ALL 335s are Custom Shops these days with Certificate of Authencity - and plekted! ALL! And it's EXCELLENTY done making it possible to adjust the neck to ultra low action if desired.

Here you can see how these guitars are build: http://www.gibson.com/_microsite/electricspanish/memphisVids02.html

• 2 months later...

Archived