Gibson Brands Forums

To Case or TO Hang

hi i recently purchased a dr-500r and i live in sunny south florida .. i keep my ac on 76 and i was wondering if its ok to just leave my guitar hanging in my home or do i need 2 keep it in a case with a humidifier .. i dont have a hygrometer so im not sure of the humidity level in my house but i know its 68% humidity outside .. they say the first three years of aging is the most important so any input is appreciated =D

You should get thee to Radio Shack and get yourself a digital hygrometer. They are not expensive.

Acoustic guitars are pieces of wood held together by glue. The wood expands and shrinks depending on how much moisture there is in the air. The guitar was glued together in an environment with a controlled humidity level of between 40 and 50% at 70 to 75 degrees. The guitar does best when it is kept in this environment as much as possible.

In sunny Florida you should not need to add any humidity, unless it gets cold and you have your heat on for weeks at a time, which is unlikely. Floridians generally worry more how to dehumidify. You may need to set your A/C a bit cooler to keep the relative humidity inside your house down below 50 or 55%.

Although high humidity is not as damaging to a guitar as low humidity, it's best if you try to keep your guitar within 35-55% relative humidity at all times. The wood in the guitar will begin to swell if the humidity is above 50% for long periods. This will result in the top rising which will cause higher action and diminished tone. If the guitar stays over humidified for extended periods it can also result in bracing issues, mold, and other nastiness. If lowering your A/C doesn't bring the humidity down, you should probably think about getting a dehumidifier.

Go here for a lot of good info on humidity and it's effect on acoustic guitars. http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/reference/techsheets.html

Aside from humidity, there's the case or hanger question.

As for that, this is the answer: NO possible good can come of your guitar being outside its case when you're not playing it. It can only bring you to grief.

Others will disagree, but they'll only disagree until the kid next door sends a "Jart" sailing through their window, impaling their most prized guitar and pinning it to the studs behind the paneling. Then they'll repent in sackcloth and ashes.

There are unseen forces in the universe that prowl about looking for unattended guitars sitting out of their cases, that they might wreak mayhem and devastation on them. Keep your guitar in its case when you're not playing it.

Uncle Buck :-({|=

I live in Central Florida, and always have 1 or 2 guitars out. My house sits pretty steady at 74 degrees and 48% humidity. I don't do anything out of the ordinary...just have the A/C running, and I've never had a problem with my guitars.

hi i recently purchased a dr-500r and i live in sunny south florida .. i keep my ac on 76 and i was wondering if its ok to just leave my guitar hanging in my home or do i need 2 keep it in a case with a humidifier .. i dont have a hygrometer so im not sure of the humidity level in my house but i know its 68% humidity outside .. they say the first three years of aging is the most important so any input is appreciated =D

Don't have a hygromer???? better get one.

Owning an acoustic guitar without knowing the temp and humidity where your fine instrument is being stored is like having a baby without owning a child restraint car seat. It can be done but isn't advisable.

While flying fast and loose with guitar storage is not currently illegal in all 50 states' date=' it someday will.. :(

Having your guitar out in full view is okay, once you establish tolerable temp and humidty. However, this should be done in a childless, pet-less home and only in a room where [b']YOU[/b], do ALL the cleaning from dusting to vacuuming. Outside that "safe room"... case 'em up.

Archived