Gibson Brands Forums

Fitting Brige Pins

fmw

I have a DR500R and I want to replace the plastic bridge pins. So far I've bought two sets and both are too small for the holes in bridge. Before my collection of pins grows even larger, can someone steer me to some pins that will fit? Thanks.

fmw,

This issue comes up occassionally on the forum. The best advise I can give you is to go to www.guitarsaddles.com. You'll see references to this site and Bob Colosi frequently on this, and probably every other acoustic forum. He has some great bone bridge pins. But he also has a very detailed instruction page on how to measure pins to order replacements. You will need a digital micrometer that measures to the thousandths. I got one for less than 20 bucks. I followed the instructions, called Bob, ordered a set, got them in about 3 days, and they fit perfectly. And I think they made a big difference in the sound and especially the sustain. (AJ500R)

Thanks. I called Colosi and he wasn't in. I found similar products at another site and ordered some bone pins. For those interested, what you want is size 1 which is a .210 inch measurement below the head of the pin and a 3 degree taper. As mentioned above, that happens to be the Martin size as well. I don't know if all the Masterbilt's have the same pin size. Mine is the DR500R dreadnought model. Take care.

My new bone bridge pins arrived from custominlay.com. They are beautifully made and finished. The guitar is a DR500R. If you want a set just contact them and ask for size #1.

bridgepins.jpg

I don't think so. I didn't change strings. The strings are only a couple of weeks old. I just loosened them and replaced the pins. If there is a sonic difference it would be very subtle indeed and not enough to worry about. I didn't hear anything.

My purpose wasn't sonics. It was just my distaste for having cheap plastic pins in my bridge. The DR500R is a very good performing instrument. For its price it is downright amazing to me. The difference between it and a $2000 Gibson or Martin is pretty subtle, to tell you the truth. I don't think bridge pins are an effective way to alter the sound of a guitar. Others may disagree. But I think a guitar that sounds as nice as the DR500R deserves upscale bridge pins. Call it pride of ownership.

hi :)

For my EF500RA i´ve ordered some gibson ebony bridge pins, yet i didn´t even care about their size :)

Can anyone please help me in this? Should the pins fit? Or should i cancel it?

Thanks!

hi :)

For my EF500RA i´ve ordered some gibson ebony bridge pins' date=' yet i didn´t even care about their size :)

Can anyone please help me in this? Should the pins fit? Or should i cancel it?

Thanks![/quote']

Hard to say. There isn't a standard Gibson size. If you want to get it right the first time you need to measure the pins as I mentioned above.

I don't think bridge pins are an effective way to alter the sound of a guitar. Others may disagree. But I think a guitar that sounds as nice as the DR500R deserves upscale bridge pins. Call it pride of ownership.

Just to add this. Yes they may alter the sound, but adding other small things, like the material of the saddles (bone standard) many people i talk about it, consider good woods, like mahogany, better materials to become ressonable, other refer thusk or ivory... of course, strings are some significant part of this... for ex. i´ve already tried about 6 sets all different labels, even the best ones... and i´ve found (as i´ve told somewhere here) by mistake :-$ a friend that assured me OPTIMAL were the best (never heard of it :-k ) and for me, my EF 500RA sound so much better with them

Nobody does any bias controlled listening tests in the music business, probably because it is so hard to do. I would be willing to accept that bridge pins can affect sonics only if someone could pick out the audible differences in a bias controlled test. I suppose if you could get two identical instruments together strung with the same new strings and then do a blind A/B test with one guitar with plastic and another with bone, then I would believe it if the test showed a statistically significant result. Until then I will remain skeptical. I have quite a bit of experience with bias controlled listening tests and I understand how preferences affect the way we hear.

Adding mass to the bridge could increase sustain. No doubt about that. But a sonic difference? Or specifically an improved sonic difference? I really doubt it. Honestly I do.

Archived