Gibson Brands Forums

String Damage due to Acid??

28v6r

No one mentioned the SALT that is in perspiration. Salt is corrosive to metal parts and tends to crystallize on the parts of the guitar, especially the strings and bridge components. I imagine it's one of the components of the corrosive factor of the player. In any case, wipe that sucker down when you are through!

Yeah' date=' but you gotta be careful with the nickel and chrome stuff too, cuz it'll pit over time if you don't keep 'em clean. The blotters were high test in my day.[/quote']

Yeh, I guess you're right about the chrome, too, Matiac. Perspiration has salt in it and those of us who have had

cars with the old chrome bumpers can see what the salt from the wintertime snowmelt could do to the chrome

bumper of a car if you didn't keep it clean. :) The bridge on my old Gibson 335 started to get that way even

though I did my best to keep it clean. This time of the year (Summer) is the worst because the humidity makes

me sweat like a pig and if I don't put something over where the arm rests, it looks like my guitar just came out of

the muddy water.=P~

Now, talking about blotters (I presume you're referring to acid, like in LSD,); weren't they also like little cartoon

characters on paper?..."Melts in your mind, not in your hand." 8-[

Archived