Gibson Brands Forums

what about your HUM ?

Avirex

I posted 2 days ago about a hum issue after upgrading my pickups on my Sherry2 with Seth Lover.

The measurment I made then seem to be all OK (0 Ohm in all cases).

Playing at home at low volume is OK.

But if I turn up the Amp volume ( 3 on a super reverb, bright on, wich is already pretty much anyway), with the guitar at about 2 yards from it, I hear a little hum...less then with my Strat or Tele in the same conditions, but it is not the perfect silence...

Maybe playing with the band in a club I wouldn't notice it at all...

Is it normal for this kind of pickups in a hollow body?

I never mind about that with the old pickups, maybe it was the same but I simply didn't care...

So what about you, no HUM at all ?

Depends what effects I'm using. I find if you snot up the signal path with a bunch of pedals, you inherently get a small degree of noise, especially with overdrive pedals. If I run mine through the "crunch" channel on my Marshall, it's nice and quiet.

I made the test again with the hotrod deluxe...No hum at all at 6 with tube screamer on.

Surely the super reverb shows its age in this case, and maybe more noisy then the Sherry...I had it serviced two times lately and thought it was perfect. It seems not to be so...36 years old anyway.

Hey Avirex, you could try cleaning all moving electrical parts on the amp, I usually use rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip, get all/any plugs, take some of that canned air for computers, and blow out any dust/dirt in the other controls on the amp. If that don't do anything, I'd still say a grounding problem...but be sure to unplug it first. Not that you won't, but you'd be surprised how many people don't.

Are youse guys saying that an amp shouldn't hum at all? Because I have a brand new Hartke hybrid that hums. Doesn't pose a problem for me but now I'm wondering if something's wrong with it. I recall some minimal humming with the amps I had in the 60s but this is the first amp I've had since then.

Don't forget about mojo. It could just be that particular guitar and amplifier don't like each other. If you can't find anything wrong with the setup, but it won't work, and another combination DOES work -- well, I have to believe its the mojo gremlins telling you what you need to know to make good music.

Archived