Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt EF-500 RA pickup?

needhelp

Hi...

There´s ALOT of solutions for you, just look for a guitar dealer he´ll guide you trough process!

I´ve looked for my specific case, for one shadow sistem, very easy to use, almost wireless and no need for special mounting, just needed to change the saddle and the cable just linked there. Sound ajusts are made by an external box!

Congrats, you´ve got a very very fine guitar!!

whenever this question is asked i always recommend the lr baggs element. a great pickup for the money. no eq, just a an under bridge transducer w/soundhole volume control. this p/u has the best natural sound representation for the money (around 100us). gibson uses them in all their high end stuff like the j45, AJ etc...the next step up is the i-beam, also by lr baggs. this system is also controlled by a soundhole wheel but the transducer is different. it looks like a cross between a bridge and a sandwich and it attaches to the underside of the bridge inside. it has a pole dedicated to each string and the sound is more accurate as a result. these sell for about 130us. i am sure there are many other worthy brands, but my experience is with the lr baggs.

I have this same guitar and I have gone through quite a few pickups in it before I found the right sound.I tried the Dean Markley Trilogy(crap),The Mag Mic.The LR.Baggs M1 and the LR. Baggs I-beam active.I Finally settled on the I-Mix system by Baggs.The Element works great for the wide wide spacing on this saddle and the sound is great.The I-beam gives it that great body sound thats almost like a mic.Together they get very close to the sweet sound of the actual guitar.Now I went with the onboard unit so I cut a hole in the side for the preamp.It dosen't look bad and it gives you sooo much more control over your sound than the other version.But if you don't want to cut a hole for the preamp there is an internal version that is not as abrasive.After trying lots and lots of options, I'de say this is a great sound for this particular guitar.P.S. Be careful of buying piezo (undersaddle)pickups that aren't wide enough for this string spacing cause there are quite a few that just dont line up with the strings and they sound bad!Hope some of this rambling has helped.

Archived