Gibson Brands Forums

switchable 6v6 / el84

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help...

I've seen the octal valve mod for the VJ, but does anyone have a way of making it switchable between the EL84 and the 6V6 using a toggle switch (with both valves in situ all the time). I'm guessing it must be possible as there's a seller on ebay in the UK who mods VJs and has included a switchable 6V6 / EL84 power section.

Cheers in advance,

Paul

Hi everyone' date='

I hope someone can help...

I've seen the octal valve mod for the VJ, but does anyone have a way of making it switchable between the EL84 and the 6V6 using a toggle switch (with both valves in situ all the time). I'm guessing it must be possible as there's a seller on ebay in the UK who mods VJs and has included a switchable 6V6 / EL84 power section.

Cheers in advance,

Paul[/quote']

Paul,

I'd imagine it could be done, but it would probably require more than a little bit of work...

If you're talking about having both tubes socketed and available with the flip of a switch, you're going to have to add a tube socket, along with wiring/circuitry to switch between them.

Not the kind of thing you want to do yourself, unless you're *really* good with electronics! :-)

-Bob

I don't know why I'm even posting this. Not what you had in mine at all I'm sure, but already has what you want build in it as far as blending the EL84 and 6V6.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Egnater-Rebel-20-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483496

They just came out with it so no one around my neck of the woods has one to demo yet....pretty much mail order only for the next couple of weeks so I'm told.

Still...in your case 600 bucks just to get that feature. Definitely not what you was wanting I'm thinking, but it is possible.

I played the Egnater Rebel last Saturday at the L.A. Amp Show. Nice amp. Very small, comes with a carrying bag, runs relatively cool, has an output power pot for going between 1-20 watts (or anything in between) and a blend knob that lets you go from all 6V6 to all El84 (or anything in between), 2 of each type of power tube, by the way. It's got 3-way EQ, gain, and master volume. It's got a matching cab with an Egnater-branded Celestion 12-inch speaker. They had the Rebel going through 2 stacked cabs at the Show. It does everything right. You can go from pure clean to pure grind with either a turn of a knob or through playing style. And, it also shows that there's very little difference in volume between 1-watt and 20-watts. The difference would be equal to turning a volume knob up or down by one or two numbers.

Alan Cyr, the circuit designer for Mercury Magnetics, has had a hybrid Valve Jr amp for the last two years at the Amp Show, using one 6V6 with one El84. This is a monster. It's wild. It's an overtone and harmonics factory. They had it going out through a Marshall 4X12 cab, and its so bad you have to run and hide.

I'm working out a deal with him to re-do my Valve Special.

Very cool Brian!! You're the first person I've heard of that's actually has had any hands on with the Rebel. The couple of U-Tube demos I've seen are horrible....not the amp so much but as somebody else here put it, I can't remember who, but because of "the nut behind the wheel".

Sounds like you preferred the Epi with this mod over the Rebel...or how it sounds like to me anyhow. I really like this Epi Jr I've been banging around everytime I check out some new amps....one killer little sounding head. I'm not worried about EQ or Reverb....got plenty of pedals for that.

I'm going to wait till they get a Rebel in the store to check out, but as far as a small amp I'm leaning towards the Epi at the moment. Let us know what you end up doing if you can. I'm sure allot of folks like myself would be curios about this mod....and thanks for the review on the Rebel.

I think the You Tube footage you're referring to was shot a couple of months ago at the NY Amp Show. The Rebel sounds real good in person, and its remarkable how small it is given the fact that, as I recall, its got a full compliment of pre-amp tubes in addition to the four power tubes. I went twice to the Orange Amp display room, and the Tiny Terror was simply outgunned by the Rebel. Both amps are at the same price point, by the way.

The Epi Valve Jr mod that Mercury showed, with the 6V6/EL84 power stages, is like this: this amp differs from current mainstream tube amps by the same degree that Jimi Hendrix differed from mainstream rock guitarists in 1967.

The Epi Valve Jr mod that Mercury showed' date=' with the 6V6/EL84 power stages, is like this: this amp differs from current mainstream tube amps by the same degree that Jimi Hendrix differed from mainstream rock guitarists in 1967.[/quote']

Daaarn...that's some endorsement. I do like that little Valve Jr, that's for sure.

Archived