Gibson Brands Forums

Returned My ES175 VS Reissue

Fadedepi

Hi All,

I promised a complete review of this guitar, this week. It's been returned to ZZounds for an exchange. The guitar arrived with a broken tone knob. I thought, no problem, I can certainly replace the knob myself. I called Gibson and they are sending a replacement. The guitar appeared to be set-up nicely. (this is a custom shop build) The action was great and the intonation was excellent. The pups are Epi '57 Classics. The neck pup, a little muddy. ( what's new?) The bridge pup, better, brighter, but the guitar would benefit from a complete change. GFS '59's would be a good choice. Of course, Gibson '57's for those with bucks. OK, at this point I'm still happy. Then I notice some slight de-lamination around both f holes. Maple veneer on the top, lifting 1/32" away from the mahogany under. This could only get worse, unless repaired. So, back she went. Hopefully the new one will be better. I really liked the guitar.

Faded....

I just got mine last week.

The neck pickup is VERY muddy. The bridge P?U is better.

I am putting in gibson 57 classic's right now.

The build on mine is perfect. Fit, finish, color, seams were all excellent. I'm sure yours will be too when you get the new one.

I tried mine with .013 bronze acoustic strings and it sounds great(with the exception of that damn muddy bridge pickup). The action can go VERY low on this guitar.

rpach10115,

WOW!! 13's... bronze acoustic strings, sounds strange, but, whatever works for ya! I was going to lower the bass side of the neck pick-up a little. Leave the bottom @ 52's and go with lighter tops 10's. I like to be able to bend and couldn't live with the stock 11's. If that didn't help the muddiness, I was going to try a lighter bottom. (49-10)

Faded...

You want clarity from the neck PU? I replaced the humbucker in my Zephyr Regent (the 175 with just the neck pickup) with a P-90 and it made a tremendous difference. Clear as a winter night in the desert. Several manufacturers make P-90's that drop into the humbucker mounts. Might be worth checking out.

Dougg330

Archived