Gibson Brands Forums

Kluson "Keystones" for DOT

lefty52

I put a set of Kluson style Green Keys in a G-400. It needed larger bushing than came with the tuners. I think the real Kluson tuners need larger bushings also. The set that I installed came with 8mm bushings, I needed 10mm for my Epis. I also put the Grover Deluxe Vintage Green Keystones in several of my Epis and they didn't need any bushings.

Its my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that the klusons are more for a vintage fit it your replaceing the tuners on an old guitar... so they won't be a direct fit to your modern Epi. I would suggest buying the Gibson Deluxe Keystones (same price) or the Grover Keystones (a bit cheaper), both will fit the peghead holes right out of the box... all you need to do is drill new pilot holes for the mounting screws. Be aware you may need to plug the old mounting screw holes before installing the new tuners.... No biggy though, I've done it 3 times with easy success!!

I replaced mine with Grover Deluxe keystone tuners. They are a sealed tuner that screws done from the front, like the stock tuners, so the diameter is the same. The Gibson set will work too, but the Schaller versions have longer keystone buttons and stick way out on the headstock.

Archived