Gibson Brands Forums

Tunematic bridge--56 Goldtop

portuitalia

I am considering switching out my stock tunematic bridge on my 56 Goldtop for something better--anyone have any ideas which bridge is best//I'm hoping to get a little better sustain and intonation--especially the low E as far as intonation--any help will be appreciated--thanks--George

Hi George,

I have an Epi 56 Goldtop and replaced the stock tuna with a Gotoh "Nashville" style bridge. My tech says that Gotoh supplies bridges for Gibson and the saddles are even better than the Graph-Tech String Saver saddles that I had on before (1 got damaged). Hope this helps...

Update:

Actually, I'm not positive whether the Gotoh is a "Nashville" or not, but I just screwed the new posts into the existing threaded sockets and the new Gotoh slipped right on, no problem. I would tell you the model number of the bridge, but I just put on new strings :-)

Cheers!

George,

The Nashwille and ABR-1 type bridges at stewmac.com are small post and not easly interchangable with Epiphone.

The Gotoh TOM's ( also available at stewmac.com) are large post and (at least int the case of my Standard) is a direct replacement.

There may be other companies out there that produce metric styles in other models. Maybe some better...I don't know. I went with the Gotoh and have been very pleased.

The Gotoh has a wider travel on the saddles which helped with the intonation on my low E.

They seem well made, having a screw with a locking nut on the back side. The nut turnes as you adjust the saddle screw due to a very small (micro) nylon washer under the nut. They also come with starter notches.

If need be you can reverse the saddle for even more throw. To reverse saddle you remove the nut by means of a small wrench and unscrewing the saddle bolt.

The washer is pressed in with a small collar on it. When you unscrew the bolt, the collar on the ones I have disintegrated. What remains is the small nylon washer......Do Not Lose It!!

Reverse the saddle, put the washer back on, reinstall and tighten the nut.

Hope this helps.....If not, good luck on your hunt.

Archived