Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Japan 'Lacqer Series'

chrisprice

I aready mentioned a while back I recently bought an Epi Jap 61 SG...a white nitro model to go with my 2002 Elite. This one was made last year and, the serial would suggest Fuji-Gen. It has the classic Gibson open-book headstock unlike the Elite/Elitist models. It looks great and is an absolute peach to play. I'm curious to know if anyone knows any more about this series of guitars. I believe they are made for the Jap home market only, but with Gibson ending their business arrangements with the Japs at the end of 2006, are these the end-of-the-line models or are they still being made under some sort of agreement? I believe that the Elitists are now discontinued. I noticed a couple more SG's like mine on Ebay a few weeks back, and there is a Les Paul Special in the same series up for grabs right now :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180303198818

I'm not looking for another guitar right now but I'm trying to find out a bit more about these great guitars......Chris

Chris, since this is an international forum, you might want to use the term "Japanese" or "Made in Japan," in place of the

shorter version....and it's negative connotations. Just a thought.

I too, have a MIJ '61 SG...bought a couple of months ago, and it's great! They WERE made, up until 2006, when Gibson's contract/agreement with the Japanese distributor came to an end.

Since that time, I don't believe they are made, any longer, in this configuration...even for the Japanese market.

They are still made, using other Japanese brand names, however. If you investigate your serial number, it will (most likely) be a 2006 or earlier...even though it may have been "new?" Mine was brand new, but the seller said they were overstocks, and the last of the bunch. There was no "2nd" or any other indication that it was a "B" stock, or "used," and it really was "new" in all appearences. There were some in white, and black finishes. Mine, and several other's here, were the cherry finished version. It does appear, to have a "Nitro" finish, though. If you "Google" "Orville/Epiphone Japan," you'll get a more accurate description, of what was going on, during that time. The SG's were made at the same factory as the "Elitist"versions. Hope that's of some interest/help?

CB

Chris' date=' since this is an international forum, you might want to use the term "Japanese" or "Made in Japan," in place of the

shorter version....and it's negative connotations. Just a thought.

I too, have a MIJ '61 SG...bought a couple of months ago, and it's great! They WERE made, up until 2006, when Gibson's contract/agreement with the Japanese distributor came to an end.

Since that time, I don't believe they are made, any longer, in this configuration...even for the Japanese market. If you investigate your serial number, it will (most likely) be a 2006 or earlier...even though it may have been "new?" Mine was brand new, but the seller said they were overstocks, and the last of the bunch. There was no "2nd" or any other indication that it was a "B" stock, or "used," and it really was "new" in all appearences. There were some in white, and black finishes. Mine, and several other's here, were the cherry finished version. It does appear, to have a "Nitro" finish, though. If you "Google" Epiphone Japan, you'll get a more accurate description, of what was going on, during that time. The SG's were made at the same factory as the "Elitist"versions. Hope that's of some interest/help?

CB[/quote']

Thanks Charlie..I take your point...I should indeed have said Japanese...I hope I havn't offended anyone...an innocent mistake.

The serial would actually suggest 2007...though it could of course be January or something...ie last ones made. Mine was also brand new and, likewise there's no suggestion of B stock or whatever. The finish is superb. I have tried Google but I couldn't find anything really. Sounds like we invested at the right time....Chris

Yeah, they're really nice guitars, and at a decent (realistic) price point, too. I love mine! As to the date it was made,

you're right...it could have been the last of the production. There are always some overruns. And, where there's

money to be made...who knows? LOL!

Edit: Try "Orville" (Gibson) Japan, on your Google search.

Cheers,

CB

Thanks again Charlie...yeah there's some interesting stuff when I put in Orville. Sad tale about the Burnys (Guitars Japan site)...US officials breaking the headstocks off these 'copy' guitars back in the 80's...aaaargh! If anyone breaks the headstock off either of my SG's I won't be held responsible for my actions!!...Chris

Archived