Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 58 Explorer Pickup Question...Satch & Hetfield?

Somedeed

Hi guys,

First time posting here O:)

I'm looking for a warmer/fatter sound from my guitar but also some crunch if possible. I appreciate the amp has a lot to do with it but I'm more concerned about the pickups for now. The guitar is mahogany, solild wood with a stop tail.

I'm looking at the Di Marzio Mo'Jo DP 216 for the bridge pickup and a EMG 85 for the neck.

Basically I'd like a warm fat tone for soloing but some crunch when it matters for the rhythm action.

Do you guys reckon this setup could work or am I frankensteining some freakish sounding guitar?

Any help would be appreciated :D

The question is can you make it work for you.

I'm not familiar with the Mo'Joe but keep in mind JS PUs have been selected to enhance the qualities of his basswood guitars and their particular construction(tremolo etc). They may work for mahogany guitars, but check first.

While a combined active/passive circuit is not impossible I think you may be complicating matters.

I gotta admit that hearing 'EMGs- warm & smooth' is news to me. Almost all of the EMGs I've ever heard are very hot & bright.

For 'warm & smooth' the best I've ever heard hands-down are the Burstbuckers. To me, they are the very best humbuckers I've ever played through. The 57 Classics are right up there, too.

Of course, both of the above-mentioned pickups are pretty expensive. I think if you go to SD or DiMarzio or GFS look for 'low output' pickups with (if possible) Alnico 2 magnets. You can bet that any low ouput Alnico 2 will tend to be warm & smooth.

For 'warm & smooth' the best I've ever heard hands-down are the Burstbuckers. To me' date=' they are the very best humbuckers I've ever played through. The 57 Classics are right up there, too.

Of course, both of the above-mentioned pickups are pretty expensive. I think if you go to SD or DiMarzio or GFS look for 'low output' pickups with (if possible) Alnico 2 magnets. You can bet that any low ouput Alnico 2 will tend to be warm & smooth. [/quote']

Agree with you there. Alltho the regular Burstbuckers(1,2,3 are not waxpotted) may not work well in a hi-gain environment, unless you're talking BB Pros(Alnico5 waxpotted). Also Alnico2s tend to get a little mushy in the lows especially at hi-gainsettings.

The question is can you make it work for you.

I'm not familiar with the Mo'Joe but keep in mind JS PUs have been selected to enhance the qualities of his basswood guitars and their particular construction(tremolo etc). They may work for mahogany guitars' date=' but check first.

While a combined active/passive circuit is not impossible I think you may be complicating matters.

[/quote']

Please forgive the noob question Riochet, I've checked out the pickup and as you say the Di Marzio is geared towards brasswood guitars. What are we talking about in terms of sound degradation if you were put that pickup in a non brassword body guitar?

Please forgive the noob question Riochet' date=' I've checked out the pickup and as you say the Di Marzio is geared towards brasswood guitars. What are we talking about in terms of sound degradation if you were put that pickup in a non brassword body guitar?[/quote']

Well...as I said I have no hands-on experience with the Mo'Joe so it's mere speculation from my part. But personally I think basswood doesn't have the depth in tone compared to mahogany. Lows lack bottom, but are tight, focused, direct and controllable.

I would presume the Mo'Joe is calibrated either to enhance or compensate these qualities. Now, for argument's sake let's say the Mo'Joe is compensated to have more more bottom and you'd install it in a all mahogany guitar which is allready 'bass-heavy' the endresult may not be to your liking.

Archived