Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Ultra II

clint313

I am really interested in the Les Paul Ultra II. I own an Epiphone WildKat and really like it. I have always been interested in blending tones (clean & distorted, acoustic & electric, etc.). Here is my dilemma, I don't really like the colors that the guitar comes in. I could get over that because the faded cherry burst is ok, but I HATE gold hardware. Sorry all, but I can't get over it. So do I buy one and switch all of the hardware, pickups, tuners, etc? If so, what would you recommend I get for hardware & pickups? Do I go all out & buy all Gibson stuff? Please let me know your opinions. Thanks!

I got the Cherry with gold. I found it ridiculously gaudy at first, but I really wanted the

Nanomag with the Les Paul features and found a new one for $500 so I couldn't pass it up.

It's grown on me or maybe I just got used to it. It's not too obtrusive if you uncover the pick ups. Otherwise,

you'd have to switch out all the hardware to not clash with the gold, ISTM.

I am really interested in the Les Paul Ultra II. I own an Epiphone WildKat and really like it. I have always been interested in blending tones (clean & distorted' date=' acoustic & electric, etc.). Here is my dilemma, I don't really like the colors that the guitar comes in. I could get over that because the faded cherry burst is ok, but I HATE gold hardware. Sorry all, but I can't get over it. So do I buy one and switch all of the hardware, pickups, tuners, etc? If so, what would you recommend I get for hardware & pickups? Do I go all out & buy all Gibson stuff? Please let me know your opinions. Thanks![/quote']

Well, you can remove the gold plating, fairly easily with 0000 steel wool. That would be the most economical

way, and you get a kind of "relic," but nicely aged metal parts look, too. As to the color of the guitar...sorry,

not much choice (as of yet) on Ultra II's. I'd only change the pickups, if you hate the tone/character of them.

Most seem to think they're just fine, although "some" will always "mod" that way, no matter what! ;>)

CB

Archived