Gibson Brands Forums

Best P90 guitar/amp settings for mean and dirty

Guest alanhindle

Guest alanhindle

I've been experimenting with my new Wildkat and my little Peavey Royal 8 Valve King 5W amp.

I'm now finding that I'm getting the sweetest growliest crunch with:

-gain setting just before 12 O'Clock/halfway on the amp

-tone knobs for both amp and guitar set to full

-both pickups on:

-treble pickup set on 10

-rhythm pickup set at 3-4

I'm able to get this sound with a low master volume on the amp. My Wildat's 'master' volume is set around halfway and, with this, I can control the whole thing up or down as I wish. I love the added versatility of the 3 volume knobs on the Wildkat.

Am I cheating by having both pickups on and effectively just getting a mud-free humbucker sound? I don't think so. This throaty roar seems somehow unattainable with my other gear.

Don't believe anyone who says Wildkats can't get down and dirty!

Anybody else have any good setting combinations for some P90 dirt?

Alan

DSC01719.jpg

Alan...sounds good! If YOU like it, then that's all that counts. "Tone" is so personal, really.

But, I got a nice creamy overdrive with my P-93 Riviera, while jamming out this evening, with the switch in the middle position,

volume (master and regular) on 6, midrange 5, treble on 8, and bass full up, on my Blues Junior. If I wanted it "dirtier," I just

hit the Boss Blues Driver...volume-10 o'clock, gain-2 o'clock, small tone knob at 9 o'clock! It sounded great, in all pickup positions, really.

Neck was very "woman tone," but a bit edgier, middle pickup was "I'm Tore Down," territory...and the bridge pickup was "Crossroads"

(Wheels of Fire") territory. Used just enought reverb on the amp, to keep it from being too "Dry" sounding, but not over the top.

It was Nice!!

CB

Archived