Gibson Brands Forums

Another paranoid fake question??

cravest

Hello to all from a new member and proud new owner of a new Epi Les Paul Std Honeyburst..she is lovely!!

Now i have to ask the horrid tiresome question of fake or not or rather where does it come from?

Personally having read around a few forums etc there are perhaps enough turned up noses as per the Gibson vs Epiphone debate without the "mines a EE yours is only a DW etc etc" found on many lesser forums.

Im a new player and my first guitar, sounds great to me looks perfect,couple of scratches on pickguard (hung on wall in store) but thats coming off anyway, so its a bit irrelavant to me where it came from to be honest.....but..

before i got it i was looking on ebay and considered a few , which is when i started reading up on serials etc but finally went to a well known store in UK .PMT,,good reviews as far as i know, saw it held it fell in love, but i digress, You see the point is mine has only numbers on headstock..beginning 0804 i thought ok i guess i got an 08 japan, but there is a sticker on rear of head saying made in China, with inspection sig on it..confused.com to say the least.

checked in cavity..very neat wiring very clean, white connectors..cant be doin with checkin back of pups restringing etc just yet.

will post some pics if anyone interested but as far as i can tell its an Epi from a reputable dealer, not too worried but very confused over serial?? anyone seen similar?

Thanks all..

right next up pics and then some S Duncans and JP wiring when i get going next year....

If it's a reputable dealer you've got nothing to worry about.

As for the weird serial...

My guess is Epiphone is a bit over-sensitive regarding the make of their guitars. A thread with all the factory codes posted in here was removed. Maybe they don't want you to make comparisons in quality regarding guitars from different plants.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it... and it may be a recent development. All Asian Epiphones are made in China anyway, so it sorta makes sense to remove the 'old' factory indication.

Hey dude, fret not.

I myself purchased a MIK Sheraton a few months back, and her serial number consists of numbers only.

They did away with the whole alphabetical-factory-coding system, due to reasons richochet mentioned (I guess).

So worry not (: !

As long as she plays like a baby, that's all that matters !

Archived