Gibson Brands Forums

Couple of dumb questions

BSAKing

1) I was playing some of my guitars today through a small practice amp and listening through headphones so I could really hear all my mistakes (as if I need headphones. lol). I noticed that the Epiphone sheratons I have here had a little bit of a 'gritty' midrange sound to them (a 96 and a 2007 I think).

I then tried a 95 Joe Pass and it was nice and clear and then my Gretsch 6122 and it was also clear.

I seem to recollect that someone on one of the threads had mentioned the stock PUPs had a 'dirty' sound to them, so I am assuming this is what they meant?

FWIW, the amp in question is just a small Park (made by Mrashall I believe). I also tried it all with a variety of cables and also on a Marshall that also has a head out jack with the same results.

Not horribly objectionable, I'm just curious. I can see why people may want to replace the standard pups and maybe the wiring although I have had no issues with the pots or switches as of yet.

2) I was poking on YouTube and was listening to a Fender G-DEC Junior amp that had accompanyment tracks. I know someone had posted a link to guitarbacktracking.com so I have some of those, but I was wondering what other options there are ?(not necessarily hardware only solutions as I am right next to a fairly capable PC). Not sure if things like band in a box or things like that give me that type of capability without standing on my head to do it. I don't want to make this a career move - just looking for nice easy solutions to the whole accompyment issue. Be nice if I could just download nice background accompanyment tracks to some sort of software and just plunk away when I wanted.

I was wondering what other folks here use, short of a group in the bedroom (although in proper circumstances I guess that could be fun too! lol)...

TIA, BSA:-({|=

Hi - Can't help you with your first question but re software and backing tracks, if you get yourself a copy of one of the versions of Amplitube you can not only emulate various amp/speaker/effect setups but you can also play along with mp3s and even slow songs down without changing the pitch so that you can learn the riffs.

Archived