Gibson Brands Forums

EJ200 solid top???

jman99

I bought an EJ200 made in China last weekend. I like it.

I see that Musician's Friend advertises the new EJ200's having a solid spruce top. I assumed the EJ200 was and always has been Select (laminated) spruce.

I e-mailed Musician's Friends technical service folks and asked them if it is soild top guitar. They replied that it is indeed a solid top.

Hmmmm? Now I don't know. The one I bought does have a solid top appearence around the sound hole but I just assumed that it was the way it looked.

Anyway, laminated or solid, it still is a heck of a buy at $300 but it makes me wonder.

when you click on the link that says more info from the manufacturer, you get:

* Hardware: Gold

* Scale: 25.5"

* Nut Width: 1.68"

* Neck: Maple, set

* Fretboard: Rosewood

* Inlay: Crown

* Binding: B/N/H

* Body Material: Maple

* Top: Select Spruce

Epiphone solid top guitars have an "s" at the end of the model name to designate solid top; I suspect MF has the wrong information

and the EJ-200 continues to have a select (laminate) spruce top...

I've been around a little while and have seen my share of " want to be's " Personally I've always chose and never settled for anything but the Status Quo if your talking about guitars...Gibson has been my choice but...

When you go back in time and look at the "Who's Who" when it comes to sound, melody, songwriting you can count the manufactures on one hand that most Musicians chose to weave their craft with.

To drop a name...Paul McCartney...he play a Texan, John Lennon also played an Epiphone.

I recently aquired a Sunburst EJ200 Acoustic. Fortunately I had the opportunity to choose from three different guitars,

I chose the one that I liked best! Three guitars, all the same model, finish and features, each one totally different.

If anyone was going to buy a nice guitar the EJ200 is the one to check out. It has absolutly the smoothest sound, the most even tone up and down the neck and accross six strings I've ever played.

I have never had the chance to play the Gibson equivlent, but Pete Townshend has and I been a Who fan for more then 30 years and I can tell you that the EJ200 as far as my ear is concern comes as close as I can possably get to the Gibson with out spending $5.000.00. Believe me I appreciate the 'Great" instruments but the craft of guitar making was not lost on my new guitar...Thank You!

Well said Barthur. I can't get over the tone and playability of my EJ-200, and I have played and / or owned many high dollar Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, etc. Some are great, some were disappointing to me. My 3 faves right now - an AJ500M, an EF500R, and my EJ200. If I could only have 1, it would probably be the 200. I played my 200 side by side with the real deal, a beautiful J200, and I and a few others were amazed how the Epi held it's own.

John.

I wrote a quick review of my shopping experience when I bought my EJ200 in the recent post "I fancy a EJ200". So not to repeat myself but it is worth noting that I bought my Epi in Bozeman MT, home of Gibson acoustics. The store I bought from had lots of Gibson Jumbos to compare it with. The Epi was of course not as nice as the Gibbys but still very decent.

I am very happy with my $300 guitar. It gets better every day!

I bought an EJ200 made in China last weekend. I like it.

I see that Musician's Friend advertises the new EJ200's having a solid spruce top. I assumed the EJ200 was and always has been Select (laminated) spruce.

I e-mailed Musician's Friends technical service folks and asked them if it is soild top guitar. They replied that it is indeed a solid top.

Hmmmm? Now I don't know. The one I bought does have a solid top appearence around the sound hole but I just assumed that it was the way it looked.

Anyway' date=' laminated or solid, it still is a heck of a buy at $300 but it makes me wonder.[/quote']

I called Musician's Friend about a week ago,to ask about this also. They lady who took my call went away for a minute, & when she returned she told me the specs were wrong, & that it has a laminated top.

Nice score Dubstar!! I really like the ones I've played.

Archived