Gibson Brands Forums

AJ-200S

Spyders

Hello Gentlemen!

I just bought a Sunburst AJ-200S/VS yesterday from a Guitar Center in Dallas. I was pleased to find that it has a solid spruce top which dramatically adds to it's excellent tone. This guitar was built in Indonesia by Samick. Frankly, I am stunned by the fit and finish of the guitar. Being in a guitar center, I was able to compare the tone with many other guitars and it sounded not just better, but much better than any of the other Epiphones I compared it to including two masterbuilt models. I then took it into the next room and compared it directly with a Gibson J-45 and it was very, very similar sounding. It had all of the volume of the J-45 and the tone was so similar, I couldn't believe it. This comparason convinced me to buy it. Thus far, I am extraordinarily pleased.

Spyders

Spyders' date=',,,,,,,,,do these all come with solid tops? For some reason I thought they were laminated? This is good news to me!

Looking at an AJ200s also, that I like a lot.[/quote']

Hello Paul,

My understanding is that if it has an S after the model number, that signifies a solid top. The one I bought also had a sticker on the film over the pick guard which said something like "Solid Spruce top improves tone with age". For the small pitance which this guitar costs, it is most definitely a bargain. I put some DR strings on it as soon as I got it home and the guitar absolutely came to life. I also like the fact that it was built by Samick who has been building guitars for decades and that it was built in Indonesia as opposed to China. I'm not sold at all on the Chinese stuff. Plus, I don't like sending money to China anyway.

I recommend you go for it.

Spyders

Archived