Gibson Brands Forums

1968 Epiphone Emperor

hrveylee1

Anybody have an idea what this guitar is worth. It has all the original pieces' date=' body is a solid 9-9.5, I am the original owner. This is the model that was larger than the Super400, 181/2"! I have the original case as well.[/quote']

This would be the Gibson Kalamazoo made version. Is it the natural and what does it have on it?

The '63 Gibson/Epiphone catalog shows an Emperor with 3 p_ups, t-o-m, Imperial

tuners and frequensator.

The Emperor Regent as made by Epiphone NYC $650 in '57. .. but that was a long long time ago and

the dollar bought a lot in those days. For comparison; My '66 Epiphone Triumph (acoustic) was over $600

(Cdn)when I got it in 67. It fetched around $1800 (Cdn) in 2003, when I sold it..

... it could have been worth more, had I not customized it by adding pickups on what was an acoustic archtop.

online info for the Gibson made Epiphone thinline (3 mini humbuckers in natural)..

price starts around $8700 (and up)

The Super 400 CESN sold for $775 in '60...online a comparable '68 Super 400 CESN

value starts at $11,000 (and up)

Yes this is a kalamazoo made Epiphone, quite possibly the last American made year of this guitar. It has a single Johnny Smith humbucker, volume control on the pick guard, frequensator tailpiece, sunburst with gold tuners etc. I've replaced the pick guard, and the humbucker, have both in storage. The pickup is in fine working order, but the replacement, hand wound Kent Armstrong, is superior. The pickguard is deteriorating like all the old ones. The replacement pickguard was made by the guy that does a lot of work for the Gibson Custom/repair shop, made of the same nitrous material. The guitar is beautiful. I'll take pictures and try to post tomorrow. From what I've heard, the price could be somewhere between 9000-12000.

Yes this is a kalamazoo made Epiphone' date=' quite possibly the last American made year of this guitar. It has a single Johnny Smith humbucker, volume control on the pick guard, frequensator tailpiece, sunburst with gold tuners etc. I've replaced the pick guard, and the humbucker, have both in storage. The pickup is in fine working order, but the replacement, hand wound Kent Armstrong, is superior. The pickguard is deteriorating like all the old ones. The replacement pickguard was made by the guy that does a lot of work for the Gibson Custom/repair shop, made of the same nitrous material. The guitar is beautiful. I'll take pictures and try to post tomorrow. From what I've heard, the price could be somewhere between 9000-12000.[/quote']

So this is a full thickness Emperor if it had a floating neck p_up? I remember seeing

the Johnny Smith p_up on a 67 Gibson Johnny Smith, but I didn't realize they (Gibson)

used it on the Emperor. These tortoiseshell pickguards were made of nitrocellulose

and have a tendency to deteriorate over time as well as being very flammable,

however, the value of this guitar is worth more when all it's parts are original.

It looks like they quit making them in 1970.

You must mean the Gibson made ones in Kalamazoo..but they are still being made

in asia for Epiphone..as the Emperor II (Joe Pass) and the Emperor Regent

full body...so there are lots of them around.

...just not too many Kalamazoo made ones, which are the more desirable ones for

collectors.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETEMNAGH

Archived