Gibson Brands Forums

pickup swap

Mattt0192

Someone tried to argue this with me... i told him numerous amounts of people put gibson humbuckers in epis with no problems, he said there's no way epiphone would make their guitars so cheap if you could make it sound like a gibson. ( IT doesn't help that he has the "Gibson or nothing" mindset.) He said some yeehaw about his "guitar expert" friend telling him that epi makes their parts slightly smaller so you have to cut into the body to make the pickup holes bigger for the gibson parts. I personally have never heard this. Anyone else ever heard that? I Know alot of you out there swap pickups all the time so if anyone has ever had this problem let me know. I tried to tell him he was wrong, but you can't argue with ignorance.

If you remove one of your pickups, you'll find that the wood is routed quite a bit larger than the actual size of the pickup itself. It's the mounting ring that keeps it suspended in the routed pocket. As pointed out by Ricochet, you only need to make sure you're matching up pickup types for which the guitar was routed for. You won't get a humbucker to fit in a mini-humbucker pocket, nor will you get it to fit in a mounting ring that was designed for a different size pickup. But swapping pickups of the same style from different manufacturers isn't an issue.

Archived