Gibson Brands Forums

Help! My F Note Is Missing!

taxman

I have a new Epiphone EJ 160-E and I have just discovered that my F on the high E string at the 13th fret is not there. When I play a note there, it is an F#. I quickly checked to see if my other notes are still on the guitar and it seems they are. Obviously the fret at the 13th fret is a bit too low. I really don't see myself taking the guitar in for a fret job. I mean how often do you play a high F at the 13th fret on an acoustic? Anyone ever have this before where a complete note is not on the guitar? Did you just live with it?

Check carefully, as it could be a high 14th fret, which may be easily corrected.

Some guitars develop a hump where they join the body. That isn't usually worth correcting on a a medium or low end guitar.

I've had guitars with high and low frets, and had the symptom you describe as a missing note. They aren't much fun to play. I couldn't live with it.

I have a new Epiphone EJ 160-E and I have just discovered that my F on the high E string at the 13th fret is not there. When I play a note there' date=' it is an F#. I quickly checked to see if my other notes are still on the guitar and it seems they are. Obviously the fret at the 13th fret is a bit too low. I really don't see myself taking the guitar in for a fret job. I mean how often do you play a high F at the 13th fret on an acoustic? Anyone ever have this before where a complete note is not on the guitar? Did you just live with it? [/quote']

Ahoy BeatleNut,

Concerning the recent loss of your F note at the 13th. position on the 1st. string. Try gluing a wooden match-stick on top of the fret. You may need to sliver it down abit but it should work for you. I've glued a wooded match-stick at the end of my fretboard to catch that high C at the 20th fret.

Btw, it's not unusual at all for me to use that high F, F# and G.

Santos

Archived